Changing front u joints 06' 2500

SCHMITTY

Not enough time
So a coworker of mine has an 06' cr and his front u joints are shot and I told him I have changed the front axle u joints on my 96' 1/2 ton gasser many times( I had a locker in the front and it ate u joints). Is there any major differences between the 96' 1/2 ton and the 06' 3/4 ton when changing the u joints? And are the axle/castle nut sizes the same? Thanks

Make sure you check the ball joints. But it's pretty straight forward if you've ever tore down a front axle before. No special snap rings or anything like the fords have.

Make sure you have the tool to help push the bearing out of the knuckle or you could be there for hours trying to get them out.

I can't remember the castle but size but I use a 3-4" breaker bar and put a small jack stand under the extension to keep everything straight while I break it loose with a cheater pipe.

I can't remember the castle but size but I use a 3-4" breaker bar and put a small jack stand under the extension to keep everything straight while I break it loose with a cheater pipe.

I just use an impact.....

X 2 on the use of either a socket, or the special tool to get the bearing out! Saves SO much time...

Thanks for the replies guys. I have the 1-11/16 socket from doing the the u joints on my 1996 1/2 ton. So the unit bearing might be a pain in a$# to remove ? I'll see if I can borrow my neighbor's snap on impact gun. Thanks again

Back