Changing Oil and Oil filter on 7.3 PSD

DCSpecial

Mr. Sinister
While changing the oil and filters on the fleet last week I took pics while changing the oil and oil filter on a 7.3 PSD in a Super Duty to help out anyone looking to do the maintenance themselves.

Here's some of the tools and supplies that you will need.

As always, when working on a vehicle...safety glasses:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_078_Large_.jpg

Shop towels or rags:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_021_Large_.jpg

Diesel rated oil...I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40:
3-15-07_Valvoline_Premium_Blue_002_Large_.jpg

3/4" wrench for the oil drain plug, filter wrench, a hammer and a punch:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_100_Large_.jpg

Drain Pan (the bigger 15-16qt ones from the auto parts):
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_003_Large_.jpg

Oil Filter (I always use Motorcraft filters):
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_075_Large_.jpg

Funnel:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_085_Large_.jpg

And while not needed...a creeper is nice:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_012_Large_.jpg

Optional:
Latex Gloves....will help keep you clean and from getting used motor oil on them.

Be sure to allow the motor to sit for at least 20mins if you have been driving it. This will give the oil in the upper parts of the motor time to drain down into the oil pan and for the oil to cool off some.

I always start by cleaning and removing the oil fill cap:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_082_Large_.jpg

Next, go underneath the truck and position the drain pan underneath the oil drain plug:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_103_Large_.jpg

Using the 3/4" wrench, loosen and remove the oil drain plug:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_104_Large_.jpg

Now, grab the center punch and hammer and you're going to punch a hole in the center of the old filter:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_107_Large_.jpg

9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_110_Large_.jpg

Next, grab the filter wrench and loosen the oil filter one turn:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_112_Large_.jpg

Punching the hole in the bottom of the filter and loosening it will allow all the oil to drain out of the filter.
If you don't punch the hole, the old oil will run all over the outside of the filter when you loosen it and make it rather slippery to remove.

While the oil from the pan and the old filter are draining, I like to fill the new filter with about 1.5qts of new/cean motor oil (be sure to apply a layer of clean oil to the gasket on the filter).
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_113_Large_.jpg

With the new oil filter filled, and all of the old oil now having drained you can choose to do the next step which is optional.

I normally like to hand thread the drain plug back in, and pour one quart of fresh motor oil in. Let it sit for a few minutes and then pull the drain plug and let that drain. This helps to flush out more of the old/dirty motor oil, IMO.

Now, you're ready to re-install the drain plug (be sure not to over tighten).

Next, remove the old filter which has now completely drained of oil and install the new filter that you have prefilled with oil. Fully tigthend the filter by hand and gave it another slighy turn with the oil filter wrench (depending on your hand/arm strength a full turn with the filter wrench may be needed).

With the new oil filter installed and the the drain plug installed in the oil pan, place the funnell in the oil fill and finish installing the oil.

9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_085_Large_.jpg

The capacity of the 7.3 PSD is 15qts with a oil filter change (don't forget out the oil that you have already poured into the new filter and subtract that from the 15qts that you are going to pour into the oil fill neck).

With all the oil in, re-install the oil fill cap, check the level on the oil dipstick and you're done.

Be sure to properly dispose of the used motor oil. Many auto parts and service centers have used oil drop-offs.

Last edited:
Back