Charging problems

My truck pulses with an external regulator on it just like every first gen I've been around in the world. Does yours?

From what I can tell when the pcm is working correctly it will sent a constant resisted ground, and with a external reg it will send a full pulsating ground, thus making the headlights flicker with the on off cycles

I don't notice a pulse on my voltage gauge.
utu6e8e3.jpg

from phone

I try to look away but god it's bad... Brand new alternator, and regulator, still does it.

I dot remember the part number but off a later 80's dodge pickup.

Mine is a napa premium off of a 1980 d150. The headlights and dash lights don't change. The volt gauge moves so little I didn't even notice it. I'd say it's about like it was stock. It just charges a touch higher.

With the Dodge style external regulator you need a Ballast resister on the power wire going to the regulator so it doesnt over charge.

Give me a Second and i will grab a picture of how i did it on my wood truck. Max output on the truck is 14.5volts.

I did the external on my 97 gmc conversion and sometimes at night its slightly noticeable in the dash lights but that's about it, and stays about 14. 3 all day long :)

Back