Cheap "Marine Cam" durability?

dpaqu

Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper stock like cams? I'm curious about the durability?

We've sold quite a few of them and never had a single return or complaint. We've used them a few mild engine builds, but I'd guess none of them have over 30k street miles at this point.

They don't have provisions for a bolt-on retainer so unless you plan to tack weld the cam gear, I wouldn't use one over 500 HP. Seems like 600ish HP, there is enough load on the cam gear to make them walk off the nose of the cam.

I have a cummins marine cam in my truck now. I had a regrind at first but pulled it bc the company I got it from had some issues with the lobes flaking. I have not a had any issues so far with the marine cam and it had around 85k on it. However I probably wouldnt purchase one again. There are better options available imo

Last edited:
So I probably need a retainer for the 12v in my sig ? Does the cam have to be removed to be welded ?

So the cam doesn’t have a hole in the end already ? Hmm. I have a welder buddy and that could probably tig tack it.

Thanks all for the reply. I intent to push my 62sxe to it's limit, and it's such a PIA to pull the front of the truck apart I think I may splurge for Hamilton or similar. Overkill for a single turbo truck but seems the smart play unless a pristine used stocker shows up on the sale section.

Back