Cheap "Marine Cam" durability?

dpaqu

Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper stock like cams? I'm curious about the durability?

If it's an oem marine cam, no problem with durability at all.

We've sold quite a few of them and never had a single return or complaint. We've used them a few mild engine builds, but I'd guess none of them have over 30k street miles at this point.

They don't have provisions for a bolt-on retainer so unless you plan to tack weld the cam gear, I wouldn't use one over 500 HP. Seems like 600ish HP, there is enough load on the cam gear to make them walk off the nose of the cam.

I have a cummins marine cam in my truck now. I had a regrind at first but pulled it bc the company I got it from had some issues with the lobes flaking. I have not a had any issues so far with the marine cam and it had around 85k on it. However I probably wouldnt purchase one again. There are better options available imo

Last edited:
So I probably need a retainer for the 12v in my sig ? Does the cam have to be removed to be welded ?

I wouldn't be scared to put some melt beads from a tig welder on it.

So the cam doesn’t have a hole in the end already ? Hmm. I have a welder buddy and that could probably tig tack it.

Thanks all for the reply. I intent to push my 62sxe to it's limit, and it's such a PIA to pull the front of the truck apart I think I may splurge for Hamilton or similar. Overkill for a single turbo truck but seems the smart play unless a pristine used stocker shows up on the sale section.

Back