cheap route for auto trans????

timmcgraw67

Strokin' and Cummin'
Currently I have a stock truck but would like to get fast easy cheap power. I do realize I need some trans work to complete efficiently. What I currently have on my sled puller is a transgo shift kit with full line pressure to the torque converter and a DTT 89% Torque converter along with billitt shafts and Alto Red Eagles. I don't plan on putting 600 hp to this truck yet but would like a healthy 400. Could I get away with a shift kit or would I need to put a TC on it also? I was thinking on a 100 plate and 370s and 4k gsk with 60# springs. Would I be alright running a single 35 or would I need to go twins? What is the most cost effective approach btween $ and power? Don't want to have to pull the trans is the bottom line. I don't mind the valvebody.

I would probably go ahead and buy a good tc for good insurance because stock one are good but not for 400hp or even 600 at all besides im in the same boat right now check out ebay they have some for good prices hope this helps

A stock converter wont hold 400hp. You can drive it with 400hp but when you pour the coal to it you will slip it bad.

Eric

Fast, easy, cheap, reliable?

This is motorsports. Speed costs. How fast do ya wanna be?

I would pick Fast and reliable...:hehe:

I would get a better valve body to start with and a new TC (Is the one you have a single or triple disk?). I haven't had any personal experience with the transgo kits but i have heard of a lot of guys running them for a little while and then they start acting real crazy. Just my $.02

i ran a stock tranny with a triple disk converter for 50k miles. i raised the line pressure a bit, put in a lock up switch and drove the hell out of it. it was fine till the day we bolted on the slicks. it blew through second gear like you put the clutch in on a stick truck.this was a bit over 500 rwhp and 1200 plus on the torque. but it was a 2wd regular cab short bed, so a light truck that spun the tires in the first three gears.

A valvebody and a converter would be a soli foundation assuming your tranny is in good shape already.

I run REV max single disk with there VB and some billet pieces they recommend while the vb is out and im very impressed with it the shifting is very crisp and bypasses the the lockup in od from the normal temp sensor (if usesn) that combo runs around 1000$

Well thanks to you guys for your replies... So I have come to the conclusion that I would probably go for a new TC and shift kit I probably do the same that I did with my sled puller besides the billet shafts. I dunno I think that my build will be around 1500-2K. I really like my alto red eagles and my dtt converter. Now what is preference for shift kits. I like when a trans has a solid neck breaker in gear. I can't remember what brand was in my sled puller but I liked it alot.

talk to jeff garmon or dave goerend about a kit for your VB. I've heard jeff garmon can make one hit every gear real hard and fast, i've experienced dave goerends VB in my truck and it shifts really fast with no flares in between gears but not a real neck breaker shifts. firm shifts though. enough that you can feel it but its not annoying driving it on the street after a while. it also will shift much harder, more like neck breaker shifts while doing locked shifts. just my $.02

Back