Cheapest/lightest drag wheels and tires

97rada

I am looking for a set of wheels and tires for my second gen drag truck. I am on a tight budget at the moment so I need suggestions on what's going to
Hook best and be relatively cheap.
I have stock 16' wheels and a set of classic 2 wheels to mount tires on. Both are 16'.
I am trying to make TS this year and it's cutting it close budget wise.

From time to time real wheels are about 250 each.

Don't know just how tight you mean, but IMO that's not a bad deal

From time to time real wheels are about 250 each.

Don't know just how tight you mean, but IMO that's not a bad deal

I have heard bad things about real wheels and going fast. Something to do with them not being true.
And tight depends on the deal. I would love to find a used set of wheels and tires for sub 1500 or tires for sub 1000.

I am looking for a set of wheels and tires for my second gen drag truck. I am on a tight budget at the moment so I need suggestions on what's going to
Hook best and be relatively cheap.
I have stock 16' wheels and a set of classic 2 wheels to mount tires on. Both are 16'.
I am trying to make TS this year and it's cutting it close budget wise.

16' wheels have to heavy. I didn't even know they made them that big.

So you want something lighter than your 16" classic 2's? What width do you need?

Haha sorry. Been a long day. It's a lot of rotational mass lol.
And I am not set on a tire, so I am not set on a width. The classic 2s are a 16x10.
I will be around 1050-1150hp with this setup this year. Truck should weight around 5500-6000. Trying to make it as light as possible and run 10.xxx

I also need to weight the classic 2 just to see how much they weight

We ran MT Classic II's on the silver dually they were light and fit a 10.5w all way up to a 14.5 fine seem alot lighter than the 15x15 mrw wheels i have on the red/white dually.. The MRW's are nice pieces though id choose them all day over real wheels.

A 31 inch 10.5 I think would work and they're a popular enough tire you may be able to score a used set on racingjunk or the bullet. IDK just an idea

Slicks or radials? What height do you want/need?

For the money, raceline renegade 8 wheels are pretty light. <25#.

I believe MT has a drag radial that's 29" tall for an 18" diam. wheel. I'm still looking but I thought there was a 30" tall tire available but I can't remember it.

16x10 classic 2 should be about 22lbs. Pretty light for the price.

If that's the case I will just run those that's light enough for me. It's a 4wd truck also. I should have mentioned that. I am extremely new to drag tires ect so this is a blind venture. I would like something close to 30+ though.

Slicks or radials? What height do you want/need?

For the money, raceline renegade 8 wheels are pretty light. <25#.

I believe MT has a drag radial that's 29" tall for an 18" diam. wheel. I'm still looking but I thought there was a 30" tall tire available but I can't remember it.

I thought there was a truck specific radial that was recently produced. Something that was like 32" tall. I can't find the thread anymore.

A 31 inch 10.5 I think would work and they're a popular enough tire you may be able to score a used set on racingjunk or the bullet. IDK just an idea

What size was Rick running last year that was a bit to small?

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know Hoosier Tire came out with a new radial tire. 325/45/18 which is a little over 30" tall and is priced very fairly. I chose to run a 18x10 Raceline wheel that weighs in at 27lbs. The tires weigh in at 28lbs a piece, so the combo is super lightweight. The tires are rated 2094lbs each which is awesome for us. I wouldn't want to drive on the tire on the highway, not what its designed for, but it is rated. Here are a couple of pictures.

Here's where I saw about the new tire... Hoosier drag radial at 30" on 18" wheels.

The pics didn't come, sorry... They're basically slicks with a little slits in the contact patch. I can link to the thread over on DuramaxDiesels if it's alright?

Last edited:
Here's the 325/45/18 Hoosier dot tires.

Adam Aquino

26414925892_03289d61f1_k.jpg

How much are people picking up on the 60 foot with radials over street tires?

Are you going to drive or trailer to the track?

If you are going to trailer or switch at the track. M&H makes the nostalgia slicks that will fit your 16x10s.

Last edited:
Back