checking for boost leaks

cumminalltheway

I need to check my truck for a boost leaks. Can someone give me any pics and ideas on how to make something. Also where to buy the items.

OK ill bite, I bought a 4''x2" rubber mission coupling. used a PVC 2 x 11/2 bushing reducer to a 11/2 plug with a threaded hole. Find appropriate fittings and use a valve to regulate pressure. I wouldn't go past 10-15 lbs. I test from the turbo inlet. If your inter-cooler leaks you should be able to hear it.

Attachments

• boost leak tester 001.jpg
    boost leak tester 001.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 61
X2 on what silverman said but don't be scared to go up to 30(ish) on the pressure. Soapy water in a squirt bottle is your friend doing this. Be sure to check the intake gasket as well, seen several leak from there. Intake gasket bolts only torque to 15ftlbs, so DO NOT get carried away snugging them up.

OK ill bite, I bought a 4''x2" rubber mission coupling. used a PVC 2 x 11/2 bushing reducer to a 11/2 plug with a threaded hole. Find appropriate fittings and use a valve to regulate pressure. I wouldn't go past 10-15 lbs. I test from the turbo inlet. If your inter-cooler leaks you should be able to hear it.

hey silver, on the black boot coupler how big did you go with it........is it the 3in on the big side to 2in or the 4in to 3in.

4" piece of exhaust pipe about 4" long, weld an 1/8:1/4" piece of plate over that, drill & tap 1/4" npt (2x), 4" id piece of rubber hose/ect., 4x 4" hose clamps, install 0-50 psi guage in 1 of the 1/4" npt ports and a schrader valve type (tire type?) in the other port. clamp the 4" exhaust pipe to the rubber hose and then to the turbo and you're good to 80 psi. Make sure you use good hose clamps, it has been known to blow off with 120 psi shop air. Here's a pic of the smaller version we use for testing heads.

100_0332.jpg

well i tested for leaks and found 4. i repaired 3 out of the 4. the 4th and biggest leak is on the back side of the top turbo housing. I used my stock hx35 with a ht3b. why would it leak and how do i fix this leak.....

Take it apart I think theres an oring in there, if the oring is okay put some oring greese on it to swell it a hair, if the oring is shot buy a new one, if its not available find a core turbo steal it from

there is no o-ring in there, i thought that too. i took it off and nothing. it's just machined. i even went to cummins and they looked it up and it doesnt take a o-ring. any other ideas guys.....if i can get my setup to run right i should be pushing 550hp.

I put a real light bead of gasket maker silicone on mine. It fits pretty snug in there but I wanted to be sure since I already had it apart when I was clocking it to the IC pipe when I did my 2nd gen manifold swap.

Maybe try a product call RIGHT STUFF, its made by permatex i think, works really well. Hardens into a rubber like constistany.

i bought some copper silicone gasket maker and it pressure tested it up to 45psi and it held. I am yet to see if the truck boosts as it should. I will post what i find tomorrow.

well i tested for leaks and found 4. i repaired 3 out of the 4. the 4th and biggest leak is on the back side of the top turbo housing. I used my stock hx35 with a ht3b. why would it leak and how do i fix this leak.....

are you talking about where the exhaust housing of the top turbo meets the hot pipe?

no it was leaking boost on the comp. housing. no boost goes through the comp housing it goes through the turbine housing. i am sure you know but i am just stating where my leak was.

update

I made a boost leak checker like Kipo and then checked my system. I found several leaks and fixed. I was able to even put about 40psi in the system and it held it great. So i go drive the truck and it still wont go over 40psi. what is the deal? help me guys?

Why are you excpeting to hit over 40psi? If the truck has never boosted correctly, maybe thats all its gonna push. Expecting high numbers just leaves you disappointed.

Back