Chevy Gauge Accuracy ??

buck0000

Hey yall i was wondering how acurate the trans temp gauge is in the duramax trucks. I will eventually put gauges in the truck but needed to know what are the essentials for monitoring. I also wanted to know if the computer readout for the MPG is acurate.

Thanks to all
Ryan

Hey yall i was wondering how acurate the trans temp gauge is in the duramax trucks. I will eventually put gauges in the truck but needed to know what are the essentials for monitoring. I also wanted to know if the computer readout for the MPG is acurate.

Thanks to all
Ryan

Is it??? Do the math! Some are some are not...best described as the lie-o-meter...

I dont really pay attention to mine. GM has a problem with gauge clusters in allot of vehicles. Sometimes my trans gauge wont move and my speedo stops working. I can reset the speedo and until I cant do that anymore I'm not going to worry about it.

My cluster has crapped out twice. In my case, it's always the speedo and tach that "stick" when the stepper motors go. I've never noticed an issue with the other gauges, but that is just my observation. If your tranny temp gauge would not move at all, or would get warm and then never come down or otherwise act erratic, then I'd be concerned, otherwise I wouldn't fret too much about it.
It's been a pretty accepted theory that the DIC will NOT read accurate fuel mileage after a tuner or programmer has been installed. I've never tested this, but it's been covered in depth on DP.

If the guages are working correctly the trans will be close enough to go by and the MPG estimate is way off depending on tire size, ect.

Thanks yall the truck im getting is 100% bone stock. So i guess i would be better off getting a after-market trans temp gauge when i get the pyro and boost.

NO. dont get a trans temp gauge when you have a perfectly good one sitting right front of you. The factory trans temp gauge reads off a thermistor inside the valve body/PSM. Way better place to get an accurate temp reading than some aftermarket thing you drill into the side of the pan.

the GM gauges are accurate, as long as the cluster isnt broken/needles sticking. But when that happends its OBVIOUS.

The only gauge that is not 100% accurate is the coolant temp gauge.

NO. dont get a trans temp gauge when you have a perfectly good one sitting right front of you. The factory trans temp gauge reads off a thermistor inside the valve body/PSM. Way better place to get an accurate temp reading than some aftermarket thing you drill into the side of the pan.

the GM gauges are accurate, as long as the cluster isnt broken/needles sticking. But when that happends its OBVIOUS.

The only gauge that is not 100% accurate is the coolant temp gauge.

Thanks for the info i really appreciate it. this is my first duramax and i want to make sure i do ANY ugrades at all the right way.
Thanks again Ryan

Back