Chip?

CTD01

Junk collector
I just got an 01 golf tdi 5 speed. Im lookin for a little more power but I want to get the same economy or better. Im not looking for anything crazy I want it to still be reliable. I also want to put gauges. What do these cars run for boost? Im into diesel pick ups but never cars. Any advise is helpful.

Before you do any upgrades, take care of a few things such as cleaning the intake, delete the EGR, clean or remove the snow screen. Jason's "I haz TDI" thread has most of the info on these so you can see what I'm talking about. Just cleaning the intake on mine made a world of difference. Also, how many miles are on it and when was the timing belt last changed?

:pop:

Don't let Chris (Signature600) see this but, I was wondering the same thing..

Anything worth doing without changing the stix, pump, clutch, etc?

Just bit more...lol (Famous last words)

How bout the cleaning of the intake and egr delete? Price of parts and difficulty?

Tedious, but not hard by any means, if you have access to a welder about all you will need new part wise is intake gaskets and some hose to reroute the coolant flow away from the heat exchanger. Once that is done you might set a code for too much airflow, the tune you get from Kerma, Rocketchip, or TDI tuning will take care of that :evil

David, you can get tunes from mild to wild, all you have to do is tell them what you want.

On edit: I did the timing belt, EGR delete, and intake cleaning on Swole's car in one long day, had I not been a bit wore out from the drive there it would not have taken quite so long.

Last edited:
Billy,

Shoot me a PM on what you'd recommend without having to change anything else... Price too..

Thanks buddy

Ok as far as chips go where do I get one how much are they and whats the best one?

Your best bet with these cars is an ECM reflash rather than a plug'n'play box, smoother and in some cases cheaper. If all you are looking for is a mild tune that the stock clutch will take with no other upgrades I would look at Rocketchip, you call him up, he sends you an ECM that you place in your car and send him your old one. No gauges needed, and it runs around 3 bills. That is a half remembered number, so please do not hold me to that, I have not looked into the tuning side of things in a while. TDI tuning and Kerma both use a smarty style downloader that you plug into the car and reflash the ECM through the data port. As best I recollect, TDI tuning you rent the device or buy it, your choice, with Kerma you buy it and get tunes that are locked to it.

I have no direct experience with any of the folks mentioned above, they are all folks who I have heard good things about though and feel safe to bring up.

Ok cool. I do want to put a boost any pyro. What kida boost will I see? Also I see some guys say use a map sensor based tune. Is the rocket chip one of them?

Last edited:
Ok found out today that the t belt wasnt done on this car guy said he got his cars mixed up. Oh well looks like im doin a belt. I found a nice kit from diesel geek any suggestions? I'm only into the car for 1700. Its an 01 5 speed gol in great condition with 160k.

Yea my shop key program says its like 4.4 so Im planing on 5 hrs. Any body do one how bad are they? I've done a few gas engines but never a tdi.

Billysgoat did mine...Little bit of a PITA to get that motor mount out of there...Gotta jack the motor up a bit to get it out and then get in there...

The one from diesel geek, if you don't want to buy one, I'll rent you mine, shoot me a PM if interested. You will also need a VAGCOM setup to check gross timing once it's done, Bentley manual is a great resource as well. You can check around various places, but timing belt kits with all the parts are pretty close to the same price. While you are in there, go ahead and do the EGR delete and intake cleaning, just have the car down for a day or so doing it and be done with all the mechanical issues you need to address.

What do you mean rent yours? Where ya out of? I got a ton of pullers and cam lock tools for other cars. Will my otc or snap-on scanner do gross timing?

Mississippi, and if you have the cam lock plate and cam pulley puller already you should be good to go, only thing extra I would get is the IP lock pin. I cannot tell you on the scanners, I don't own one so I picked up the VAGCOM cable and called it good.

Are the vag com setups expensive? Why cant I just make a pin to go in the ip? If someone can give me the specs I can make it on the lathe.

Back