Cleaning out front axle tubes?

turboman1

I pulled the front axle shafts out to inspect them but there is a lot of dirt in axle tubes just before the seal, which looks like it is where they press the tubes into the carrier. Does anybody have a good method they have used to clean the tubes out so when I put the shafts back in i do not get dirt on the splines?

Also is their supposed to be a seal on the very end of the tube where the shaft exits it?

Thanks
Adam

Both axle seals are at the differential end of the axle tubes. The right side is just outboard of the CAD fork and collar, which runs on the outside axle shaft. I have not had to replace the drivers side seal, but do know that the differential has to be removed. I have cleaned the right side tube with the differential still in the axle housing. You can take some brake cleaner, spray from the inside axle tube, then push some shop rags thru the tube. I made a tool to pull the right hand seal into the tube. I also used the tool to pull the rags thru the tube.

I've rigged up a long rod with a sheet metal half circle welded to the end of it. You use it similar to a garden hoe, scraping all the debris and old grease out of the tubes.

Back