Clear coat over enamel??

Fireman450

Daring to be diffrent!!
Has anyone had any dealings with spraying clear on enamel? Laid down an Enamel base on my truck and planning on getting some airbrush work done to it. Want to clear it to help protect it alittle. Had a fella tell me that clear over enamel would cause my base to lift up. Has anyone else had any issues with this or will my airbrush work hold up without being cleared?

Thanks
Fireman450

Just spray it with clear enamel.
You don't have to use a urethane based clear.

Brad

Why in god's name did you use enamal?

There have been advancements in paint since the '70's:poke::hehe:

Why in god's name did you use enamal?

There have been advancements in paint since the '70's:poke::hehe:

Well Im running on a really tight budget and I have always used enemal on all the tractors I have painted and I have seen how it holds up to the weather and as long as you keep a good coat of wax on it it will last as long as i need it to. So why not?....:poke:

Fireman450

Ill have to refresh my memory on it. The painters and myself dicussed this heavily. Enamal is easy to spray, I think the falts in it were the orange peel, the thickness of the coats and something about the longevity of it.

Cant remember it all now.

I would opt for a urethane or water-born type paint personaly. Cost is a major factor though. We done my car in urethane paint and it cost almost 1k in materials. It aint no bigger than a civic!

If you used enamel from your local farm store, it is probably synthetic enamel. Not the highest quality material out there by any stretch of the imagination, but it works. When sprayed with a catalyst (hardener), it holds up to the elements fairly well, but nowhere near the standards of today's urethanes.

Ill have to refresh my memory on it. The painters and myself dicussed this heavily. Enamal is easy to spray, I think the falts in it were the orange peel, the thickness of the coats and something about the longevity of it.

Cant remember it all now.

I would opt for a urethane or water-born type paint personaly. Cost is a major factor though. We done my car in urethane paint and it cost almost 1k in materials. It aint no bigger than a civic!

Yes cost was a huge factor in this paint job Im gonna have around 250 bucks in it rather than the original grand that it was going to cost me to go basecoat clearcoat. And I can live with a little orange peel. Even today if you go out and look at newer vehichles you will see that from the factory.
As long as it will last about a season or two ill probally re do it, before too long.

Im just trying to figure out how to keep my airbrush work to last. Thought about going with vinyl but I got a guy thats gonna do my airbrush work as a sponsorship...:woohoo:

The only time my truck will be ou in the weather will be going to pulls and such. When Im at home it will be in the shop. Im just afraid that without some sort of protection the first good storm I drive through will take it all off for me.

For what you're doing/planning on doing...forget about clear coat over your airbrush work. There's no sense is risking a lifting issue or the additional cost if you're planning on redoing the truck in a year or two anyway.

The airbrush work will last just as long as that enamel will in the elements.

Back