Clear gearz ?

Burner

slow poke
Just looking and I found this...Clear GearZ

What'da think, good or bad? Does anyone here have them or sell them?

I have seen those advertised in a few magazines. They are a bit to gimmicky for me

How long do you think they stay clear? I would guess that after a while you wouldn't be able to see through.
Now if they made bikini's.......

I've seen a few people with them.

The do seem to stay clear.....but the one guy had his crack where the domed part of the cover meets the flat flange that bolts up to the diff.

And...if you ever were to hit anything, they offer pretty much zero protection. the cover will flex and you will hit the ring gear, carrier, etc...

less than a show piece, eh?

........I wonder, could you have something like that for valve cover(s)? I wonder if they would take the heat?

Burner said:
less than a show piece, eh?

........I wonder, could you have something like that for valve cover(s)? I wonder if they would take the heat?
Screw the valve cover, I want a exhaust housing for my turbo made out of that, well intake side too, I want to see my wheels spinning and the exhaust flowing! Now in all seriousness, they do have some new aerospace polymers now that can take nearly the same heat as metal, though, I would hate to see the price of a valvecover made out of it....

You would be amazed how strong polycarb is when its in thicknesses above 1/4in. I make clear covers for rockwell axles and I can shoot them with a 22 and it not brake or go through. I have made windows for some of my rockcrawlers and you can hit them with a ballpeen hammer and you cant break it even at only .060 thick! Good stuff, and even made the cover on my 4bt so you can see the gears turning where the power steering pump used to be.....FYI

I wonder how well this poly does with heat cycles? I thinking (yes, give me air) that the poly will crack over time. Also, how in the hell does it stay clear?

do they make them for trucks other than 1/2 tons?

I think they would be neat on a show truck, but not on a daily driven truck

Well, in that case a valvecover would be sweet, though, you wouldn't be able to see much while its running. I imagine it would look pretty oily...Now educate me, is polycarb the same as Lexan? 'Cuz thats what I made my windows in my garage out of, mostly because it was free at the time, but also because the white trash in my neighborhood like to steal stuff out of garages and I have more stuff in mine than everyone else on my street...

lexan is realy a brand name, but no its not the same. Lexan will shatter into pieces and poly wont... hell I can put poly into a sheet metal brake and bend it into shapes. As far as staying clear goes, they can put in as much UV protectant as it take to keep it clear for years, but whatever is in the oil "soot" will eventually need to be wiped off, but by then its time to change the lube anyway... Poly rocks!

And now for hte obvious question. I know i can find Lexan at Lowes/Home Depot. Where's polycarbonate found?

Lowes and home depot might have polycarb, you would just have to ask them. Lexan is a brand name and is really just acrylic. If they have a small piece you can tell the difference because you can snap a piece of acrylic in you hand, and Polycarb will only bend. Just remember that ifyou use it for glass in your jeep, offroad buggy, etc, etc... you CANT kick it hard enough to break it. I have taken a hammer to show people how strong it is! Now if you are wanting a custom piece, say a clear cover for something. You can take your original to a plastic place that does vacuforming, and they can use your original as a die and vac a hot sheet over it. But it does all depend on the shape, because if its undercut it wont pop out of the plastic after its cooled. Hope this helps a bit.... I use to have my own machine, and made thousands of parts for the sign industry, Sonic, Arbys, etc. Later guys

Oh, if its a flat piece you want, I can still machine parts on my CNC router....let me know.

So, if I had a .DXF of a 24v valve cover, you could CNC it out of a 8x3x36" chunk of polycarb?

ive got clear gears on my truck, the only thing that sucks about them is that if you want the real effect of being able to see the gears and stuff, lockers everything else, you need to run the clear gear fluid, its green or whatever and less sticky so it doesnt stick to the cover as much, i run the good sh*t in my diffs, and even if i dont drive it for a week the cover is still red, lol. cant see anything in there! dont buy them....

joefarmer said:
So, if I had a .DXF of a 24v valve cover, you could CNC it out of a 8x3x36" chunk of polycarb?

I just threw up thinking about how freegin much that chunk of poly would cost!

The Z travel is 6in, and the table is 4x8 so it would fit....I would have to think about how to clamp it since it will need to be machined inside and out.....(Aaron takes bong hit and thinks):hehe: I would need to think about this one......(Aaron takes bong hit and thinks).....I would need to think about this one.....(Aaron takes bong hit and thinks)....I would need to think about this one.....(Aaron takes bong hit and thinks).....I would need to think about this one.....Whoaaaa that was cool, I got stuck in some sort of smoke filled parallel universe.! LOL LOL Bwaaahahahah let me see what I can come up with.

well... maybe vacuum form 3/8" sheet with heat? Still sounds a bit pricey.

Back