clutch drive conversion for 47/48

I assume these are manual VB autos, right??

How do you build boost on the line with a clutch?

there have been a few lencos used it appears they have trouble too. don't know for sure but I saw a lenco for sale from armor Inc there going back auto

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

How do you build boost on the line with a clutch?

I know from watching the schied dragster at SDX13 that a clutch is released upon takeoff. I'd say this set up is very similar to the Top Alcohol dragster/funny car set up. It is still somewhat a slipper clutch, but, has a pedal engagement.

The Sullivan truck sounds like a converter so I'd guess it is a slipper clutch. As the RPM's go up, more torque is applied through the clutch. This would make spooling super easy. The slipper is infinitely adjustable and therefore would allow for custom tuning right in the vehicle. The slipper is infinitely adjustable and therefore will cause you to loose your mind trying to find the right combo. LOL

I'd say if a fella was to call and talk to Dan Schied, he would shed some light on the subject. He has always been helpful with me.

Naturally, this is all speculation on my part so don't take it as gospel. One thing I know for sure is that either set up above is very expensive. I'm whinining about a $7,000 powerglide. I'd say you could pretty much double that number just to get started with a clutch unless you bought used. I have a good friend that used to run a slipper deal in front of an SCS 30 in a Blown Alcohol mud car. I'll give him a jingle and get his opinion.

Iirc CT Performance runs a clutched 48 in their Pro stock truck as well.

I wonder if clutchflite parts can be adapted to a modern day RE trans

attachment.php

Attachments

• clutchflite2.jpg
    clutchflite2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 0
Pump Drive

Hey will24, how is the pump driven in a set up like that?

Pump was run by the pressure plate. You can see the drive fingers in the pic above

Sent from my flashscan v2

I sent an email to B&J yesterday for pricing on a 2 spd big boy. No reply yet. I read some testimonials via a google search and they appear to be stronger than the lenco and require less HP to turn. This link http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ins_full_race/ posted by JQMile on the Th400v/s47rh thread is proof positive the B&J will hold.

5,700lbs!!!!! and a dyno proven 1500HP !!!!!!! Granted, it is clutched, but, I'm beginning to like the clutch idea more and more.

Again, this stuff is going to challenge the budget ( so to speak), but, I'll pay the price for the satisfaction.

I sent an email to B&J yesterday for pricing on a 2 spd big boy. No reply yet. I read some testimonials via a google search and they appear to be stronger than the lenco and require less HP to turn. This link http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ins_full_race/ posted by JQMile on the Th400v/s47rh thread is proof positive the B&J will hold.

5,700lbs!!!!! and a dyno proven 1500HP !!!!!!! Granted, it is clutched, but, I'm beginning to like the clutch idea more and more.

Again, this stuff is going to challenge the budget ( so to speak), but, I'll pay the price for the satisfaction.

Thanks for checking with them man I'm curios to see what they say.We got 4900lbs and 1500hp so that should help keep it together. Yeah I'm crushing on a clutch pretty bad. I'm thinking the more speeds the more money but I'm thinking maybe a four speed to keep the motor loaded flat it would stay on the chargers better.From what I can tell the B&J and the Lenco are really similar in design wonder what makes the B&J stronger?

It feels like this is re-inventing the wheel. We are putting the same clutch packs back into the race truck's 48re for the 4th season now. Last year we were 6000lbs and 1500hp+ the seasons previous we were 6700-6800lbs (depending how much of the pulling hitch and other pulling stuff we removed before going racing).

We did twist a couple input shafts at the heavier weight, but never broke them, the trans will get an oil change and go back to service as is this year.

It feels like this is re-inventing the wheel. We are putting the same clutch packs back into the race truck's 48re for the 4th season now. Last year we were 6000lbs and 1500hp+ the seasons previous we were 6700-6800lbs (depending how much of the pulling hitch and other pulling stuff we removed before going racing).

We did twist a couple input shafts at the heavier weight, but never broke them, the trans will get an oil change and go back to service as is this year.

Who builds the valve body/ Trans? Also is the truck still drag/ sled pull?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the OP is having converter issues, not the actual transmission problems. Not sure who they are using for converters though.

Who builds the valve body/ Trans? Also is the truck still drag/ sled pull?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commercial Powertrain (403) 651 6921. JSP also runs a Commercial Powertrain Trans.

Yes it is still dual purpose.

Back