Clutch pedal pressure

relay93

I'm looking at a one owner 2005 3500 quad 4x4 dually with a 6 speed. The the clutch takes a lot of force to dis engage the clutch compared to my 96 5 speed and my friend 06 6 speed. The truck has been serviced at the same dealership for the past few years and the dealership has all the records of maint. work that they have done. The dealership shows no record of the clutch being replaced or the owner having complaints about the clutch. Does the dual mass clutch on the 2006 and later 6 speeds make the clutch pedal pressure that much easier to push. My wife was really having to hold on to the steering way so she could push down on the clutch pedal. By the way there is only 85K miles on this truck. The owner has traded this truck in at the dealership who has being doing the service work.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

does it seem like it has a more aggressive engagement then your friends truck? it's possible he had a clutch done somewhere else

Im almost positive it just normal. my buddys 98 will go to the floor with very minimal pressure and when i had my stock clutch it was noticably stiffer than his. just the nature of the beast!

if it has had a pressure plate that does not have the self ajusting fingers in it then that will make it harder to push meaning someone would hav had to swap it out then

Not normal, maybe someone upgraded the clutch but NOT the hydraulics....I could push my stock clutch with my hand standing beside the truck and can still do it with just one hand and reach in and crank it with the other with my Valair. Maybe a Dual Disc clutch would be heavier to push, but she shouldn't have to hang on to the steering wheel to get it down.

I've gotten in some that were extremely stiff. Not sure why.

How high is the pedal and where does it start to engage when you let out on it?

As a clutch wears the fingers on the PP move back twards the transmission, if its almost toast the pedal will have to come up much further before it starts to engage and will also disengage sooner when pressed in.

If this is the case the fingers on the PP are out of there nomanal working range and will take more effort to get them to break over and release.

This is why most new clutches have a softer pedal than the old one you took out even though it may have a heavier plate load.

I've gotten in some that were extremely stiff. Not sure why.

Ive never seen 2 clutches be the exact same.... but for a woman to have to hang on the steering wheel to mash the pedal seems a little extreme. 1st question would be does she drive standard often? if not she wont have the muscles or be used to it. 2nd...somthin aint right if it is really that hard.

The dual mass flywheel is a super easy clutch, but it is JUNK!!! just replaced mine, and the new one is much stiffer, but ALOT better engagement.

Thanks for the replies. The clutch would engage with the pedal close to the floor. Well the dealership put the truck on the lift but the salesman never called to tell what the mechanic seen and they sold the truck last night. The Internet sales manager called to tell me not the salesman who I was dealing with. Oh well time to move on and look for another one. This truck was not meant to be mine.

Back