Clutch won't disengage. What's to blame?

BigB82789

In my puller I have a Kenny's 3 disk and Kennys Input in an NV4500. South bend hydros. Kenny's modified clutch fork, washer behind the pivot ball removed, and the clip is on the clutch fork. Fork is installed correctly with serial number down.

The first time I pushed the clutch down I bent the rod going to the pedal. Pulled the hydros and fixed the rod. I checked play in the clutch fork and it has 1/4" to 3/8" of play. Reinstalled hydros and the pedal is hard and I dont want to break the hydros.

I operated the hydros on the bench and they seemed to operate fine.

Would the hydros act different with the load of the pressure plate on them or is there some how something hung up in the clutch?

Buddy of mine had this issue, but it was not with a Kennys clutch. After pulling the clutch to have it checked the builder gave my buddy a billet clutch rod for his slave cyl. said the stockers wouldnt handle the load. Might be something to ask about.

Hope this helps.. Good Luck

Last time mine wouldnt disengage it was broke in half, i doubt thats your problem though.

Posted via tapatalk from the International Space Station

If the input shaft retainer has wear on it, it could cause the throw out bearing to bind on the retainer itself causing your problem.

Did you happen to check it when you installed the clutch? Also, what plate load do you have, there is a possibility that the fire wall is cracked or flexing and that could cause a hard pedal. Is the rod that comes out of the master adjustable? If so, shorten it up, you could be over releasing or bottoming out the piston in the master.

The bearing slid freely on the input before install. This is a conversion truck so the firewall shouldn't be cracked. It is an adjustable rod on the hydros.

Pulled the clutch and the problem was the pressure plate was clocked wrong making the pressure plate hit the 3 short stands. Now I put it back together and got about 10 pushes on the pedal and it bent again only I got travel out of it. Is there a difference in location of the clutch rod to the pedal between years for a second gen? Maybe my angle
Is off and binding?

I had this same problem 2 years ago. Problem with mine was the input shaft was not all the way thru the last disc, but somehow the bellhousing and engine plate matted perfectly on install. I ran kennys clutch for 3 years prior and never had this problem. May not be your problem but food for thought.

I would say throw out bearing or what happened to a tractor that came into the shop is that the springs blew out and so it wouldnt disengage much

Back