Code 0122 TPS

Dodgentwo

A guy my dad works with is getting a code 0122 which is the TPS correct? Or APPS? pretty much the same thing from what I have read. Anyway, He said that he can be driving and the pedal just goes "dead". Like there is nothing there. Then sometimes it will just kick back in. I dont know much of anything about the 24V trucks but Im trying to help him out.

I saw a few people on here say they had this code and it ended up being the fuel pump. And he replaced his a little less than a year ago. So I would doubt it is that, but you never know.

He tried the reset as posted on here and still nothing. He checked and adjusted the voltage, nothing.

He also had a fuel pressure guage on it and says his pressure is good. Any other ideas? I know the TPS isnt cheap from what I hear and most places dont take it back once bought.

Just trying to exhaust all his options before spending un-needed cash is possible.

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Tell him to take the engine serial # and go to the local Cummins parts dealer and get one, if he is loosing pedal than getting it back there is most likely a bad spot in the potentiometer. To really get it checked out have the dealer or a shop with a good OBDII diagnostics program hook onto it and monitor the output from the APPS and look for a spike or lag.

Sounds almost identical to what my '01 was doing when my VP went out.
It was most noticable when I had the cruise set and started up a hill. The speedo would just start dropping, maybe loosing 10-15 mph, then bam! the truck would gun back up to the set speed.
Does the guy have any mods to the truck? I roasted my new factory lift pump in 3 months with a 65 hp tune. And it was the retro kit, pump in the tank. Thank god I had the low fuel light.
Sometimes the lift pumps can be decieving. They may work one minute and shut down the next. A fuel preasure gauge in the cab would let you know whats going on while driving under load.
If he's lucky the VP is ok and the lift pump is shot. Better get a FASS and low fuel preasure light.
I don't like calling ''SHOT VP'', so I hope someone else has a better suggestion.

J.D.

I dont think he has anything done to it. If he does its just a small tune. And he has a fuel pressure guage and said everything was in check. He is taking it to a dealer with a good diagnostic in a day or two so ill let you guys know.

Thanks,
Travis

Back