Comp/Smarty/150 Injectors P0251 & a miss

JSPulliam21

We Don't Rent Pigs
OK, hopefully that title was descriptive enough. I have an Edge Comp with FBD 150 injectors. When I stack a Smarty and go WOT the truck starts missing around 2200 rpm & boost hangs at about 32 psi. If I leave my foot on the floor it will clear up around 2700 rpm & run on out. When I do this I get a CEL & P0251, P0632, P01693 codes. I know the 1693 & 0632 codes are inherent to the Smarty, but the P0251 code seems doesn't make sense. Of all the posts I read about P0251 trucks either just died, or would not start. Mine only throws this code with the Smarty, and only when it misses. Question is, what could the root cause be of the miss & P0251 code? The IP is 2 years old & was purchased from Diesel Performance Parts in Nashville.

0251 means your pump is dying. Start saving up. The comp alone might not be enough to tax the pump but the smarty on top of the comp might be the little push over the edge. Does it matter what setting you put the smarty on?

OK, hopefully that title was descriptive enough. I have an Edge Comp with FBD 150 injectors. When I stack a Smarty and go WOT the truck starts missing around 2200 rpm & boost hangs at about 32 psi. If I leave my foot on the floor it will clear up around 2700 rpm & run on out. When I do this I get a CEL & P0251, P0632, P01693 codes. I know the 1693 & 0632 codes are inherent to the Smarty, but the P0251 code seems doesn't make sense. Of all the posts I read about P0251 trucks either just died, or would not start. Mine only throws this code with the Smarty, and only when it misses. Question is, what could the root cause be of the miss & P0251 code? The IP is 2 years old & was purchased from Diesel Performance Parts in Nashville.

hmmm on my original engine, it would do everything you were saying except for throwing the codes. I'll definitely keep this in mind.:Cheer:

Your not running the timing settings on the smarty are you? If you are theres your problem, your timing is out the roof. You cant run the comp on kill and use the timing settings on the smarty.

Comp on 3X5 or higher and Smarty on 8 shows the issue. This pump is only 2 years old, and it has always been fed by a FASS 95 GPH pump. Never run dry.

I have some new info to add to the thread. With the comp on 4x5 or higher the miss returns between 2200 & 2500 rpm. The Smarty just makes it worse and sets the codes. If I turn the comp off it will not do it. It will miss in the same rpm range free revving with the comp on, with the smarty on, and with both of them on. It will not miss with the Smarty only. Also, I need to correct the codes above. P0251, P0602, P1693. Any ideas?

Take the smarty off. I never had good luck stacking the smarty with the comp. It made a lot more smoke than power.

I say lose the Smarty as well. I ran one with the Adrenaline and it gave me a "dead" spot about in the same rpm range. I had better luck loading it with the Revo and just maxing out the TM setting and leaving everything else in stock setting.

Have you used the smarty to read the codes?? It will tell you exactly what they are. If the 1693 code is on there usually that means there are a few more, 1693 is just a companion code.

Last edited:
Back