Completed 2008 Fummins swap build thread

Decided to reuse the 6.4 fan, there was a guy selling the adapters for like 60 bucks at the time on fb and I couldn't justify buying the material and spending the time for that. This baby is huge compared to the Cummins fan and really moves some air with a runaway motor I found out. Details on that later.

Attachments

• 20210413_164447.jpg
    20210413_164447.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 0
I am looking at picking up a hoist. I am with you on haveing the cables overhead. Anything below would be and is a pain for working around.

Thanks for the information.

No clue on the pictures.

Looks like the build is comeing along nicely. You right, that engine fits in there very well. Looks like it was made to be in there.

Yes, the down pipe tubing the transmission makes for some awful in cab noises.

Good work!!

Here she is before the cab got dropped for good, and the 2nd picture is when stuff was somewhat finalized in the engine bay. On first fire when I was getting ready to break the new cam in I thought I'd be clever and zip tie the ppump to quarter throttle or so that way I wouldn't have to hold the throttle and I could check for leaks/issues. I had a sheet of aluminum next to the Turbo so if it ran away for whatever reason I could choke it out. So I fired it up and this fucker went wide the fuck open in about half a second. The 6.4 fan sounded like a 747 jet engine taking off. I called Seth the next day and he said since I had the throttle zip tied at 25 percent it made the governor go wide open or something of that sort. So yeah, never do that lol. That was my first runaway diesel and hopefully my last.

Attachments

• 20210413_120817.jpg
    20210413_120817.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210416_210021.jpg
    20210416_210021.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 0
Here's the interior finished for the zf6, I was concerned it wasn't going to fit with my center console which I really wanted to keep. It hit just a touch and I was able to heat the shifter up and bend it closer to the drivers side which actually made it nicer to drive. I also like the zf6 shift pattern over the nv5600. Jockeying trailers around is a whole lot easier when first and reverse is right in line instead of all the way across the pattern from eachother.

Attachments

• 20220121_174300.jpg
    20220121_174300.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 0
What did you do about flooring with the modded trans tunnel? Did you purchase new or were you able to make the original carpet fit?

Good deal. Anything you would change or do different with your swap besides going common rail? How many miles have you put on your swap?

Honestly I only have a little over 5k miles on the swap. The truck gets parked in the winter and in the summer I have a mustang and wrangler that gets drove the majority of the time. Going common rail is probably the main thing, and if money is right go allison swap to begin with. But that's a lot of work in itself where the zf6 was pretty simple and not very time consuming to make work. Other than that I don't think there is much I'd do differant, but I'm biased lol. I had been thinking about this build for years so I had plenty of time to think out exactly what I wanted and that's what I did.

Back