Compound of a different flavor....a WG dilemma...Of the VW variety

My guess is this thing will make ~55-60psi when it is all said and done.

at this point, all i want is to get it figured out so we can start adding fuel; i have no doubt it will be fun, but it is getting frustrating at this point...

at this point, all i want is to get it figured out so we can start adding fuel; i have no doubt it will be fun, but it is getting frustrating at this point...

Unfortunately with a build like this, you have a long road ahead of you still. Twins with VNT and external gate are not cookie cutter nor easy to dial in correctly.

Unfortunately with a build like this, you have a long road ahead of you still. Twins with VNT and external gate are not cookie cutter nor easy to dial in correctly.

i hear ya...just worn out at the moment...it just seems to never end and i havent even realized any of the potential...

but just heard from Mark...he sent a new file...so going to try that when i get home....

stay tuned...(no pun intended)

When I did NoJoke's wagon, I had to tune the boost up, not down at the get-go. Same turbos, same size TDI, dumber ecu. Go figure.

Only difference I can see if your setup vs NoJokes is the external gate size. I ran a 38mm. With a 20psi spring in the external gate and both sides vented to atmosphere, and the signal gate to the LP left vented to atmosphere, I got perfect boost control after a few retunes with Mike to get tip in response dialed. I tried various spring and plumbing combinations first to the external gate, but was getting inconsistent peak boost pressures.

Biggest thing I found out when playing with vnt vane position and ext gate opening pressures was that the vanes actually have to kept shut a good bit once the gate opens at full tilt. Otherwise, the HP would quit multiplying pressure and the workload would shift to the LP.

As a start from scratch effort, I disconnected all the signal lines to both gates and it ran so much better I left it that way. Peak boost sits right between 50-55psi with the LP sitting perfectly at 28-30psi. Drive pressures were about 60psi and egt's never broke 1100F even after 6 back to back dyno runs. Mike said we were running about 85% of available fuel in the tune with the 5x.013 nozzles and 12mm pump, that was where it was just starting to haze at full boost. Left it there as it was more than fast enough and smoke free was a main goal of the bill.

I really miss driving that thing. It was a freaking riot. 4wd launches were the cats meow. Bounce rev's a few times between 3-4K till LP got up to 5-8psi, let clutch out and hear all 4 tires squak :Cheer:

When you get it tuned, you'll love it. Give me a ring if you ever have any questions man!

Last edited:
When you get it tuned, you'll love it. Give me a ring if you ever have any questions man!

thanks Matt!

i really appreciate you tuning/chiming in...we are working on getting things under control...your feedback is invaluable, to me at least...

once i get the LP actuator hooked up i will likely give you a shout again...my working on the car times are just usually never convenient for calling to shoot the **** about car issues...

i really wish we could just have gus's car and my car in the same town at the same time...that would really throw all the cards on the table!:pop:

little update..got the regulator installed...been working on getting things dialed in...finally getting somewhere...little more fine tuning and i think we will be ready to dump the fuel!

install new stiff valve springs is the next project!

had a tire blow out this weekend, so now i have to buy 2 new tires for the front for wheels i wasnt planning to keep for more than a couple months :nail:

anyway..little video of it somewhat dialed in! :rockwoot:

[ame="http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk286/fouckhest/?action=view&current=IMG_1436.mp4"]IMG_1436.mp4 video by fouckhest - Photobucket[/ame]

Back