Compound/Triple piping in CAD/Solidworks

StainlessRRA

Advocatus diaboli
We need this. Does anybody have something similar, or just dimensions? This would be a very handy reference for quite a few of us, I know I'd prefer to not tear my truck until I have to! We've been discussing building a new set after my new auto goes in, just have to figure out what it will be.

Watching this. I have solid works but no time to put in to any projects

Watching this. I have solid works but no time to put in to any projects

I'd like to compile measurements/drawings for CompDs compounding for dummies. A quick reference would clear up a lot of questions we get asked repeatedly. Also for guys like me it's easier to fax off dimensions when you don't have time for the fab process.

I'd like to compile measurements/drawings for CompDs compounding for dummies. A quick reference would clear up a lot of questions we get asked repeatedly. Also for guys like me it's easier to fax off dimensions when you don't have time for the fab process.

I agree. I'm currently in a drafting program and use both programs. I would be willing to help with some of the parts if we can get a few guys together and do it. I really don't have the time to do a complete set up though.

I should have more time around the middle of next month if no one has stepped up to help. What exactly are you looking for? 3d model of turbo/hot pipes/cold pipes?

Solidworks and AutoCAD savvy. All I need is dimensions from someone and I'd be willing to model up the parts or whatever I can do to help.

I don't have a library of piping, flanges, etc as I haven't done any of the stuff, but it would be cool to get a bunch of cad folks together and get a library of parts going.

I designed my cross-over in Solidworks to get it perfect since there is no room in my Passat engine bay for even 1 degree while keeping the LP flat.
Wd9bCPL.jpg

qLTN29g.jpg

uJu7dpS.jpg

Micro compounds :p

Not impressive by any means as far as design does :)

Last edited:
Lets start with a s300/s400 side by side setup. Please? :pop:

I'm glad that you guys are willing to help out here, I am not up to date on any of those programs anymore. Having a visual reference to multiple cold/hot pipe/cac routing would be great for anyone in the fab process. I know I'd have it printed and hang on the shop wall for reference.

Lets start with a s300/s400 side by side setup. Please? :pop:

This is exactly what I mean, it will get people thinking and simplify the build. I know I've just been thinking about a new set myself and wanted to build it 25 miles from the truck. The first thing I thought was how nice something like this would be.

Sounds like a great project. I'm not the greatest at Solidworks, but I've got it on my laptop. I can make as many flanges as you want. Not sure how to create a bent piece of tubing, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

The side by side S3/S4 interests me as well. I'm running an II set up, but want to explore the idea of flipping the secondary, and have a much shorter hot pipe. It would be nice to do it in Solidworks instead of in the truck, and be able to play around with positioning of turbos and pipes.

I remember seeing this type of setup on here but haven't been able to find the thread.

McMaster-Carr has 3-d solid works cad drawings for a lot of their piping. Especially the stuff I'm looking at to make my hot pipe. That would be very nifty if I had solid works.

I don't mean to sound like a downer, but modeling the piping is solidworks or any CAD for that matter would be a NIGHTMARE! The primary's flanges are rotated about each axis ever so slightly, it'd be a very hard to dimension that to the secondary and get all the angles perfect. Even 5* off about 1 axis would blow it, and you can't over compensate too much or you'll hit the shock tower or fender well. Don't even get me started on accurately modeling the turbos...

Maybe I'm just a boss LOL but Ive already modeled two sets. Twins were the most recent and my first model was a set of triples in highschool 7 years ago. Albeit the turbos weren't scaled but...

Why do you think the piping would be so hard?

It shouldn't be that hard. People do this for a living everyday. You design each part individually and assemble

If some of us took dimensions and pictures of our setups and just designed the individual parts and a rough engine bay to know the size limitations we could throw all the drawings in a file to be passed around and from there its just pick your part and pick your relations and bam you have whatever setup you want. It not like you neeeeeeed perfect looking turbos with but rough drawings of the manifold, waste gate, s3,4, and 500 turbos, a few straight and few bent pipes and one end of the intercooler and it should be doable. It can be purrty once everything is lined up. I'd be fine with drawing up the parts in solidworks or 2d in autoCAD as long as someone gave me the dimensions and a picture to reference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Mechanical drawings are a b!tch in AutoCAD. I wish I still had access to solidworks I'd love to help you guys out!

I don't mean to sound like a downer, but modeling the piping is solidworks or any CAD for that matter would be a NIGHTMARE!

Oh....poo..... :D

Not sure how to create a bent piece of tubing, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

Insert 3D sketch.
attachment.php

Insert tube od and id sketch.
attachment.php

Sweep the profile down the sketch.
attachment.php

Put your flange on.
attachment.php

Add material and appearance to the part.
attachment.php

Now you can even use mate references to that when you drag the pipes into an assembly they will even snap to other pipes or flanges or hole patterns if you want to get fancy. It isn't too hard.

Once you get it all in an assembly, if you set materials up on all the sub parts correctly, you will get a center of gravity, total weight, etc etc for the entire thing.

It took me 4 minutes to make this part with dimensions off the cuff and 7 minutes to post all this crap. It is pretty easy.....but I say this only because I've used solidworks since 2001. :)

You can also used "weldments" and add the weld beads to the seams if you like and control the radius and what not of them.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Keep me updated on your plans Kyle! If I can't get my turbos to be happy I am going to start building triples on my spare truck to crossover to my red one.

Back