Compound turbo oil drain ?

Jakediesel06

I got a cummins 4bt im putting compound turbos on. I know most people punch a hole in the oil pan for the turbo oil drain up as close to the top of the oil pan as possible. my oil pan already has a threaded plug in it for a oil heater. My question is Can I use that as the other turbo oil drain. This would be below the oil level in the pan not sure if that would cause an issue.

I welded a bung in the top side of oil pan. Then
went with -AN Fittings and hose.

Is this because the oil will back up in the drain tube if it is below the oil level? Just curious of the reason?

Yes, just imagine you had the oil line in your hand and was tapped in the oil pan below the oil level, and you filled it, would be slow to drain.

I've seen Y drains work on compounds, as long as its a good flowing Y fitting and big lines.

My stock turbo drain is 3/4 roughly in the block. I can y 2 3/4 tubing in a way that it flows smooth with as little restriction as possible think that should work.

y fittings work on some and not on others. Youll know pretty quick.

Using a hx30w and Hx35w. Hx30 mounted high and 35 low but as high as I can really get it. Or does that have to do more with the oil flow than turbo location.

Guess there’s no way to really know till there’s oil running out of the tail pipe or intake. Lol

Using Hx30w and Hx35w. My concern with the y is I would have to bring the Hx35w oil drain over the motor mount and drain will be horizontal for a little bit. Probably be better if I went oil pan route I’m thinking

58C095A7-8900-4D22-A587-F8384C187A07.jpg

F042F032-F4CA-49D2-AC79-8D101BC17834.jpg

I know I went kinda thick on the hot pipe. Wanted it to be plenty strong and hold as much heat as possible. Rest of pipe not going to be near that thick. Should all be about .05 thick

The oil is really whipped into a foamy type out of the turbo. I have cut a hole near the top of the oil pan then made a plate with a pipe sticking into the oil pan. Put a o ring and silicone on it and screwed it to the pan. Never had a problem with it. If you have the motor on a stand I would pull the pan and have someone weld a pipe in.

Using a hx30w and Hx35w. Hx30 mounted high and 35 low but as high as I can really get it. Or does that have to do more with the oil flow than turbo location.

Guess there’s no way to really know till there’s oil running out of the tail pipe or intake. Lol

Oh you’ll know if your drain isn’t sufficient lol I had one clocked a little high and it was blowing oil everywhere.

Back