Compounds VS Triples

vader's Fury

I am looking for opinions on which turbo set-up would be better for a pulling truck. The 2 setups are:

1. S466/83 with a gt55 (91/111)

2. S366/68 with 2 S362/68

Engine is a 2006 5.9 Common Rail. Has built bottom end with a fully ported head. Also has 300 hp inj and dual cp3's. Looking for something that will work with the inj in there now but will be able to keep up with more fuel at a later date, Or will be easily upgradeable later on.

This will be a dedicated pulling truck that will not ever be street driven. Only limit on turbo's per pulling assoc. rules is 3.2 limit on compounds and 3.0 limit on triples.

So what ya think?

It is a local pulling assoc. Mapa is the name.

Cast wheels

I am doing the fab work.

#1 if you can turn some rpms. (With those choices for turbos)

Last edited:
Is there another combination of turbo's that would work better for either set-up? Or different turbine wheels? Any opinions on changes are welcome.

Last edited:
Could go larger on the primaries. Youd have more air and spool similar to the gt55. The triples you described seem more street oriented. 3 66/73/.91s would be interesting.

Originally I was thinking of using S472/83/.90's as the primaries for the triple set-up but thought it might be a tad bit. The ones I listed originally I figured were a little small....

Well, I will say my 2 62/71 over 1 64/71 would do 98lbs of boost with very light fuel set up (small injectors, basically stock pump) so that might put the bigger turbos into perspective as to what kind of air would be shoved into the engine.

My concern would be RPM's going down the track with the CR being able to keep the larger turbos lit......

Located in elkton MD. Actually going from a built 7.3 to this setup. Total revamp of the truck.

I understand what you mean about keeping the turbos lit. That is what I am worried about with the gt55. I figured would be easier to stay on top of the 2 smaller chargers than the one large one. Also why I thought the 2 72's would be to big. More fuel is not out of the question but just trying to get everything running good before going any bigger.

Last edited:
Still feeling pretty confident in the 66/73/.91 for pulling.

Back