Compounds with wastegates

Extended Power

When do you dump to the hot pipe...

When do you dump it to the atmosphere?

Trying to spark a discussion on when should we gate to the hot pipe, and to the atmosphere.

Lets hear it....

Wastegate to the primary till its being driven at its most efficient then wastegate to the open.

At some point, it may be driving the primary to its peak, but killing the secondary with back pressure.

I've heard that you can use a smaller gate when it dumps to the atmosphere, compared to a bigger gate dumping to the hot pipe.
Which makes some sense.

Dump to the atmosphere if you are trying to limit shaft speed, or horsepower.

Dump to the atmosphere if you are trying to limit shaft speed, or horsepower.

Yeah...trying to keep it under 1K hp...oh look....I succeeded...:bang

I'm trying to figure a way to keep "divided" up pipes, and make a gate that will relieve from both sides without killing the "pulse". (Spool up)

Judging from the soot I have inside the intake manifold, and nowhere else, I'd say I have some back pressure problems yet. (It's only in the manifold, not in the piping at all)

Yeah...trying to keep it under 1K hp...oh look....I succeeded...:bang

I'm trying to figure a way to keep "divided" up pipes, and make a gate that will relieve from both sides without killing the "pulse". (Spool up)

Two gates, one on each pipe?

My up pipes are 2".
They come up and run side by side to the secondary.
I was thinking of merging them together, except keep them divided, right to the bottom of the gate.

Like, come off each up pipe with an 1 1/2" pipe, and merge the two into one 2" under the gate.
I don't know...more thinking...

On another forum I got crucified for the location I have the gate in now...
Then I started looking at where they had theirs mounted, and it seems very common to be on an outside corner, to utilize the higher velocity of the gases.
Trying to omit any 90* take offs for the gate itself.

The Cummins is pretty easy to do...especially when you use a Steed manifold. Only thing that could be better is having a small divider right up to the bottom of the gate valve, to keep the flows separate.
Mines a big PITA. Especially when I can't mig as good as I'd like. I have the idea, but don't have all the equipment to form or cut and sand everything down to fit. (I just have a chop saw, grinder, a die grinder, and some hand files.)

Back