Confused Nv5600 oil change

coorsman2005

i like beer
Ok I bought an nv5600 and swapped into my 08 cummins. I done reading when I first installed it and seen 5 qts so I put 6qts through the top never checked it till the other day. And it was barely under the top bolt of pto cover. But I wanted to change the oil any ways so I ordered 8 qts of pens senchromesh so I wasn't shorted any oil. Pulled the drivers side cover off and drained it and and cleaned it all out good. I went ahead and filled through the top pto cover bolt. I wasn't able to get every bit of oil out of the qts. I ended up putting all 8 qts through the Top cover bolt. I drained what was left in the other qts into one. It's about a half a qt. so I put 7.5 qts through the top pto cover bolt. Also These are stock pto covers not coolers. Should I buy more oil fill it till it comes out. Then put one more through the top. I just don't understand how so much went in the top hole when everyone else reports so much less. Thanks guys Sorry for the long post.

There is a fill line plug on the side that is about 1/2 the way up the PTO cover IIRC. I never use it, just use the top bolt hole and put at least 6qts in. Stock fill level is 4.5(ish) and a few extra quarts have shown to make a difference. If you have 7.5 in there you are good, maybe a bit overfilled even.

Good deal. Thanks for your response. It was driving me nuts. So I went back out. And pulled the next bolt down from the top. The oil is between the top bolt and the 2nd bolt down. Thanks Again

Back