Conservative LLY HP limit?

B.A.Ram

A Big Deal
Never found a duece and a half I liked for the right price so I've turned my attention back to the truck. So far she's got EFI live, a FASS 150, intake, exhaust, Mike L. transmission, etc. Obviously it's maxed out for the most part on the stock turbo and injectors. Is it even worth pursuing twins and injectors with different tuning from Mr. Coddens or is that asking for more problems than it's worth? I have no idea what these LLY's can handle but I'm under the impression much more than I've got and the bottom end of the motor starts to touch itself inappropriately. What say ye?

Generally... "they" say 600hp and rods bend. But there are lots of guys running much more than that, with no issues yet. It has alot to do with tuning.

If you want it to stay together keep the stock turbo. That said

I'm probably over 600hp to the wheels. Doubt I make much more than 1000ft lbs tho, if that. Torque destroys rods, not hp.

I chose a large single turbo over twins because the low rpm power twins can make will destroy your rods. And if you aren't gonna take advantage of the low rpm power of twins, why get them? So I told Rob I wanted a de torqued 600rwhp tune that I could play with and not grenade a motor in short order, that's what I got.

Dyno'd 582hp@36 psi of boost. I see 42ish on the road. 3200uS & 28*

If you want it to stay together keep the stock turbo. That said

I'm probably over 600hp to the wheels. Doubt I make much more than 1000ft lbs tho, if that. Torque destroys rods, not hp.

I chose a large single turbo over twins because the low rpm power twins can make will destroy your rods. And if you aren't gonna take advantage of the low rpm power of twins, why get them? So I told Rob I wanted a de torqued 600rwhp tune that I could play with and not grenade a motor in short order, that's what I got.

Dyno'd 582hp@36 psi of boost. I see 42ish on the road. 3200uS & 28*

Wtf is 3200uS & 28*? Elevation and temp at dyno?

What turbo? Slow spool up?

Injector duration at max timing. About as far as you wanna go with a stock bottom end and stock injectors lol

s472/83/.90
Yeah it spools slow as phuck until you burry the throttle. Then it's a downshift and gone.

Lol when you start playing with over 600hp on a stock bottom end dmax you ask a lot of questions about timing and duration to the guys that have been making over 700 for years.

I'm running an s475. Spool time is not terrible in my opinion, but yea like Sean said, low end torque is what will kill your rods.

what kind of injectors do you need to pair with that? I'm going to bend rods aren't I.....

I would say 40-60% over squirters and yes, Rods are toast unless you keep you power at 2000 rpm Plus.

Just keep it around 525hp and you'll be fine. Much more than that will cause you grief later on.

I made 540hp for a while on my stock bottom end on a fairly conservative tune. When the motor came apart the head gasket had started to leak but the rods were all straight. I was doing that with stock CP3, 100hp DDP nozzles, and a Danville billet 4094AVNT. I really liked that charger until I oversped it with nitrous.

Back