Considering new truck. Fuel economy, manual vs auto?

Morse

Diesel
As the title says, I'm considering a new truck. I currently have a bone stock 2012 F350 SRW fx4 4x4. For work, I pull a gooseneck that weighs around 11-12,000 pounds daily on average about 100 miles per day. My lieometer says I'm getting 10.2 running 65-68 mph on the flat interstate here in FL. I'll be hand calculating the real mpg tomorrow when I fill up. I have suspicion that if it says 10, it's probably 9.
I'm considering going back to the Cummins with a manual trans if the manual gives much better economy over the new aisin auto trans.

Can anyone with experience please share it? I was a die hard diesel racing addict. My current truck was purchased new, and I haven't even tinted the windows since I've had it. Funny how kids change your priorities. My wife says she's fine with me playing with the new truck a little. I don't mind deleting, efi, injectors, fass/airdog/?, clutch, and possibly a little more air. That is, if I go manual.

I think the new autos have closed the gap on manuals for mileage. That being said, with dodges track record with autos I'd get a manual.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I really like the RH's I had in several of my quick trucks. Well, when they were built. This new truck is for mpg and longevity. Through the week, it's basically just a source to transport my equipment to and from jobsites. My 2012 Ford pulls great, but 10 mpg isn't any better than my old 7.3 powerstroke dually with 4.10 gears. If I could go from 10 to 12.5 mpg towing, that would save me a little cash.

I really like the RH's I had in several of my quick trucks. Well, when they were built.

TC, input shaft, valve body, extra cooler and I bet you'd be find to tow 10000lbs daily for quite a few years.

On 37's, towing between 10-15k, I'll see anywhere from 9-12mpg depending on the roads. I'm sure at stock height, 3.55 gears, and some standard ppump mods, you'd be all set to do much better.

I've got a stock emission intact 2015 2500 with the 68rfe and I just got back from a 800 mile trip and I avg 17mpg, that's in town and 80 on the highway combined. I'm sure it'll get better once it's deleted but it gets a lot better than my 07 6.7 DPF truck did stock, that truck was around 10-12 mpg before I deleted it. As far as the auto vs manual, I always got better mileage with a manual but only because I always drove slower than I did in an auto

Back