Conversion to Hydroboost brakes?

Cummins12Club

Happy Dinosaur
Has anyone done a conversion from the old power master cylinder style to the newer dodge hydro boost style system and if so how extensive is the swap and is it worth it I'm not finding many braking options on these trucks

I have a setup on my truck out of an 01 2500 ram I had to take off the factory mounting bracket and make a flat one because the master cylinder would hit my I/P (p-pump). I had to have my brake line ends redone to a metric style but I've heard one off of a 97 will work with our factory lines. All the hoses are from an 01 Cummins and fit perfect in my factory steering box. It cost me $150 at a junk yard for the hydro boost and $117 at Napa for the steering lines and whatever my time was to fabricate the rest of the stuff. This is by far the best mod I've done to my truck!

Last edited:
Oh and I had to cut down the brake rod and re-weld it shorter. I also know there's a company that makes a drop in replacement unit for our trucks but I cannot remember the name and I know they are really pricey. If you pm RonA he just had me put one in his truck.

After driving johns truck I think it's totally worth it. The truck stops, and now. No more mushy brake pedal, with a nice positive feel.

If I can do it for under $300 like u did it would be totally worth it

If money is tight I have a setup I was working on before I tried the hydro boost. It's just a couple of hydraulic actuators that push both doors open to catch air when you push hard on the brakes. It doesn't work as good as the hydro boost, but it's better than the stock brakes.

If money is tight I have a setup I was working on before I tried the hydro boost. It's just a couple of hydraulic actuators that push both doors open to catch air when you push hard on the brakes. It doesn't work as good as the hydro boost, but it's better than the stock brakes.

I had to read this twice. And that in itself is scary. Johns been around my Mazda. It topped out at 85mph. When a buddy stuck both his arms out the window the truck dropped 5+ mph.

I can see this pneumatic door brake working.

Back