converter lifespan

coldsmoke

freezing
strictly drag racing ,no street driving how many passes r u guys getting out of ur converters on a 47re ?

2014 I went the entire year on a DPC Converter

2015 the most I got was 3 passes out of my suncoasts. But found the valve body to be the issue on that.

So far this year I've pulled the converter after every event and had them opened up to see and they are doing fine. Probably a little much but playing it safe. But to answer your question your going to have to provide some details on power. Should get an entire year out of a converter in a truck running 10's or slower.

makin 1200 hp and 1800 ft lbs . truck is 5k lbs. runnin 9s. got about 10 passes then starting to slip. just curious that gave me some insite thanks.

That seems about right, 10 passes at 1200hp and 5000lb. We got ~24 passes at 850 and 3800lb.

What stall and chargers you running? Should last twice that long or more.

Last edited:
3200 ish. single 480

That big stall kills the lockup clutches because the converter has to soak up the full power capacity of the engine plus the rotational inertia/momentum of the engine that has pushed through the fluid coupling capacity of the converter.

One thing that helps some racers is to lockup in 1st gear. This makes for a more harsh 1-2 shift (some have broken shaft problems) but most big power trucks don't make full power in 1st gear because they aren't fully spooled and therefore it's easier on the lockup clutches to soak up the engine power + engine RPM/rotational momentum.

The tighter/lower the stall speed, the easier it is on the lockup clutch assembly to lockup and hold.

All that said there are quite a few converter builders out there so it's possible you might be able to find a different builder that can get a 3200 stall to survive 30 or 40+ passes.

What brand of converter are you currently running? How much line pressure does the transmission make/produce?

its a loaded question with infinate variables . im not bashin angbodys product . just wanted to c what some other people were gettin outta theres and such. thanks for the replies

makin 1200 hp and 1800 ft lbs . truck is 5k lbs. runnin 9s. got about 10 passes then starting to slip. just curious that gave me some insite thanks.

Should be lasting longer at 5k lbs. Give Phil a call at Diesel performance converters and talk about your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It runs that long, to allow that many passes!?!?!?!? What a world!!

Back