converting 99 24 valve to 12 valve problem

jailbroke

Well Boys!!!!!!!! Had my head under the hood today. Had just replaced the fuel filter canister and all, so I would have two less plugs unplugged under the hood and was zeroing in on the problem when I had an EPIPHINAY!!!!
Was I in park?? I mean actually in park! Like I replaced the motor but! Is the linkage set correctly?
Was park actually park?????
Viola!!
no problem since!
Ain't that some ****?
So I have temp, tack, Gas working and maybe need an idle adjustment till it gets warm, will check cruise control tomorrow.

Question for you.

With the 47re should I refrain from using the overdrive for around town? Can it cause undue problems like early or frequent torque converter failure?

Last edited:
Glad you found your problem. Told you it had something to do with the neutral switch. (Wink!)

I leave my OD on unless I'm towing. Never had an issue.

thanks

I know I said thanks alot of times, but I want to thank all of you for pitching in, everyone that posted. A tremendous amount of help, allya!

So, how'd it turn out? Everything working properly?

I'm specifically wondering about your first 1-2 shift after initial start-up. Is it "normal"? Mine's not, but after that first time it's perfect until you shut it off.

I put 8 miles on it everthing was good.
So I decided to test the cruise, tested ok.
tested the overdrive and it started skipping around on me then the trans quit pumping fluid altogether. I did see smoke coming out of the small hole in the bell housing when it finally gave up.
So this put me right back where i was when I switched the trans out in may - june.
so this time I bought an 47RH.
Have the trans out and planning to install this weekend.
Another problem has popped up too.
When I turn the key it just clicks.
Even after a full recharge. There is a voltage leak that is killing the battery in a day or two so I have to find and solve that. It may be a bad contact somewhere.
I have to go through the wiring I did for the 12 valve swap and the tranny wiring mods for the 12 valve swap.
I don't know the exact purpose of the two solenoids on the fender well below the driverside battery but I recall seeing they are connected to the intake heater so I presumed they just supply voltage to the intake heater.
If they are involved in voltage to the starter then maybe one is bad or both are bad.
I have not tested the starter yet but I doubt it is that, maybe... just gotta check it.

I'm at the end of the road with this truck I think. So If I don't get a solve with these measures then it is time to take stock and either sell it, part it out or put in a 5 or 6 speed.
I have just about invested all the time I possibly can on this.

Last edited:
Thanks Big Papa,

Starter tested ok today. I'll have to go through the wiring job I did after I get the trans in. Hopefully get it in tomorrow.
I was looking for a wiring diagram of the six pin plug on the 47re. Have one handy or know the pin outs?
Actually thinking about wiring the 47rh to the overdrive toggle switch on the column, not sure just thinking about it.

This the one you're referring to?

transplug_zps99484b0d.jpg

That's it! thanks man.
Where did you find that! I looked all over.
Got the tranny in today. finish bolts tomorrow and start wiring on tranny and then try to find problem solve for no start.
I think I posted already that the starter is ok.

I was unable to get the truck started for a little while now but today is the first day I addressed it.
I also have had a voltage leak since I wired up the 12 valve, kills the batt in just abou 2 days.
so I rewired with keans instructions for the 12 valve wiring.
At first it would only turn over but not start then I noticed the shut off solenoid
was not engaging so I actuated it while someone started the truck. It started and then began starting every time.
Sure nice to hear it run again. :cheer: <<<-- thats not me cheering it's the competition diesel forum cheerleaders.
I there is a very low audible buzz coming from the ry116 relay that was wired in for the 12 conversion.
It has made the noise all along and I have a feeling my batteries will still drain but I'll see tomorrow.
I wonder what is causing the buzz? should it buzz like that?

got to wire up the switches tomorrow on the tranny for lockup and overdrive so I can test out soon and let you know about how the tranny shifts big papa.

the 4 prong relay that is wired into the fuel shutoff solenoid to the starter to bat to #9 fuse inside truck cabin.
Still makes a low buz today, seems to be a norm.

Voltage is down today from 14.1 after charge yesterday to 13.6 today. I did start it a couple times yesterday which I guess would lower voltage to around 3.5 or so.
It may be okay now I'll see tomorrow. If good tomorrow then that cures the voltage leak and the buzz on the relay won't be a big deal I guess..

Last edited:
So, how'd it turn out? Everything working properly?

I'm specifically wondering about your first 1-2 shift after initial start-up. Is it "normal"? Mine's not, but after that first time it's perfect until you shut it off.

Big Papa,
I am not getting that problem on the 47RH either.
I drove the 47re for about 10 miles b4 it kerchunked and that included multiple starts and shutoffs here b4 I put it on the road and did not see that problem your describing above.

I have had the 47RH on many shutoffs and start and gos without seeing that problem either.
Sure it is wired differently that the 47re and I don't have it completely done with the overdrive and lockup yet but as far as starting and driving thru 1-3 gears then shut off and do over...no I don't see that problem at all.

The RH won't have that issue since all shifts except lockup and OD are hydraulicly controlled. The RE's shifts are electronically controlled.

I think my issue is the APPS. I know it's bad in spots and I also have an issue that if I give it a touch of throttle to start, moving the APPS ever so slightly, the alternator will not charge until that first shift or unless I let it idle for a few minutes. The only difference is the APPS movement, so I think that pretty well narrows it down.

I meant to post back what switches I used.

Used this in the 50 to 200 psi range for overdrive
Adjustable Pressure Switches TDPS 4-10 Series

used this for the lu in the 20 to 120 psi range
Adjustable Pressure Switches TDPS 11-13 Series

They work perfect with plenty of range to adjust for both.

The lu tops out at about 39 miles per hour as the top adjustment point and the od adjusts up to 56mph with plenty more room to adjust while I have it set at 46mph that is in the middle of the adjustment. Don't know how low it will go but it has plenty of room to drop down to about 30mph I have to guess.

I can let off gas and the trans will shift to the next gear earlier than its shift point if I just throttle it.
I can drive along and it sounds like I have a 4 speed manual somethimes when I'm shifting with my foot letting off gas to shift.
And then there are the switches to cut off od or lu completely.
Fun to drive I can see why the 4 wx4 groups love this tranny.

Really like this 47rh

will someone please please give me a call i have a 99 with a 97 12v and a 47re tranny... i need some and i would really appriciate it if someone would call me and explain to me what in need to do to get this thing to shift. 1405 595 6062

will someone please please give me a call i have a 99 with a 97 12v and a 47re tranny... i need some and i would really appriciate it if someone would call me and explain to me what in need to do to get this thing to shift. 1405 595 6062

This thread holds all your answers.
  • Are you using the ECM?
  • What have you done for a crank sensor?
  • Are you using the 24V APPS?
  • Are you using the 24V sensors?

Back