COOL!!!! Hole in the bell housing

Sabbath5.9

Neato niceo airplane glue
So I took my bell housing of my nv4500 today so I can drop it off to get rebuilt. And I pull it off and there's a nice 1 1/2 hole missing now. It's about a half inch away from where it bolts to the trans. I don't know how to load a picture from my iPhone so if someone can help me out with putting a picture up text me 732439twosevenninefour. I just want to see your guys opinions on this and if I can still use it

Upload it to Photo bucket and copy the image link here. There is even an app to make it easy.

image_zpsf4b13ad9.jpg

Replace it, its cast aluminum and will continue to piece out the more torsion applied.

Some people cut holes in the bellhousing to allow access to clutch weights, but considering the location of the hole I would replace it.

Sorry to hear that your hole is missing.
But, that looks like corrosion.

Damn, when you said you had a bell that "has a hole in it", I was envisioning something from a clutch explosion or an accident, not from something as out there as CORROSION!

I'll have a bell for you later in the week.

Mark.

Thought I'd update everyone on MY thoughts as to why there's a hole in this bell.

I did a swap deal with Sabbath on his old bell, for my nice, shiny, dry Texas one and his old one arrived to-day.

After close inspection, I'm of the mind that it was BLOWN out by trapped water that froze.
The corrosion certainly is appreciable, but as I was inspecting it, I noticed that the thinner area of the casting pocket, near the hole, is bowed inward, which to me means there was some force pushing against it and since ice takes up more space than water, I'm concluding that it was froze broken.
The corrosion may also have played a role.

I am in no way complaining here, just giving observations on what I see and the bell is definitely worth welding up and using in a future project.

Mark.

Back