Copper hard line for oil feed.

roachie

Taco Master
Had a thought to use copper lines and fittings for the oil feed on my chargers. I'm referring to the copper hard lines and crush fittings.

In my mind the only issue would be the vibration, which if properly braced would be a non-issue. Its dirt cheap and easy to field repair. Plus it can be polished.

Thoughts?

i think copper might be soft enough to not worry about it cracking or breaking. though i havent read much on it so i dont know. im pretty sure ive seen it before though. let me go look around.

Garrett

I dont see it beeing a problem alot of after market oil pressure gauges had copper feed lines back in the days, you never really see coper crack because its so soft. I'd go for it

i have seen copper lines crack right behind the flare under the nut. i would not take a chance on my engine . it is your choice

i have seen copper lines crack right behind the flare under the nut. i would not take a chance on my engine . it is your choice

The only time I have seen that happen is when the fitting is over tightened or bent to the point it crimps and is bend back.

I dont see it beeing a problem alot of after market oil pressure gauges had copper feed lines back in the days, you never really see coper crack because its so soft. I'd go for it

My thoughts as well.

I've seen rigid steel, stainless, and copper lines used for turbo lines in apps before without any issues. Most factory apps that I've worked on don't have the flexible line like these Cummins motors do. They just use hard line.

It shouldnt cack i used stainless tube once and it didnt crack

If you get the "soft" copper tubing I don't see it being an issue. I used a section of it to make my coolant bypass.

The only time I have seen that happen is when the fitting is over tightened or bent to the point it crimps and is bend back.

I don't know man. I'd stick with fittings and teflon hose. That whole " what can happen will happen" thing is real. I wouldn't trust it personally. Even for cheap.

It shouldnt cack i used stainless tube once and it didnt crack

Right, because stainless and copper are the same thing.:doh:

I don't know man. I'd stick with fittings and teflon hose. That whole " what can happen will happen" thing is real. I wouldn't trust it personally. Even for cheap.

Right, because stainless and copper are the same thing.:doh:

:doh:come on you cant think im that stupid? copper is soft and will flex stainless breaks. so what I was getting at was if stainless line lived, copper shouldnt have a problem... or thats the way I see it

:doh:come on you cant think im that stupid? copper is soft and will flex stainless breaks. so what I was getting at was if stainless line lived, copper shouldnt have a problem... or thats the way I see it

When did I say I thought you were stupid? :)

Please don't take it personal. Hell, with a name like Jeff how could you be stupid? :hehe:

It's just that sometimes things sound funny on the internet. It's all about the comedy for me man. Really :Cheer:

And also It's about trying to keep Roachie from catching on fireLOL

Soft copper WILL work harden and break if subject to vibration. Just because it started out soft dosent mean it will stay that way. I have seen copper lines on large chillers break repeatedly even though there didnt seem to be a problem untill you used a strobe light and could see where it was vibrating with the harmonics of the unit. I guess it would just depend on how and where its attached. :Cheer:

Yes I used the words soft, hard, vibrating, and unit all in one paragraph.. sounds dirty doesn't it. :hehe:

I was thinking to support the lines ever 6" or so, I'm also considering using the larger brake lines.

Really, I'm trying to figure out a way to have hard lines. Just like the look of them better.

Aluminum I'd think would be a better choice. Not as cheap but would hold up better and still easy to work with. Polished would look killer.

i have seen 1/8 copper lines feeding twins on a mustang before. 15k miles and no problems and not even supported well. also if trans lines are hard and dont break why not oil lines to turbo? more pressure and made of aluminum, heck even ac lines are made of aluminum and have way higher pressures..
do it

i have seen 1/8 copper lines feeding twins on a mustang before. 15k miles and no problems and not even supported well. also if trans lines are hard and dont break why not oil lines to turbo? more pressure and made of aluminum, heck even ac lines are made of aluminum and have way higher pressures..
do it
my thoughts exactly

Anyone know where to find flare fittings for aluminum tubing? I don't think using the brass ones is a good idea.

All my fuel line is 1/2in aluminum, and uses summit compression fittings that are aluminum with brass compression rings. If I was going to do it again I would use tube adapters and flair the tubing. If I remember right it would have been about half the price for the fittings. Home Depot, etc, will have the flair adapters you need if you go copper..might not be the cheapest, but your not going to need that many parts either. Also a auto A/C place will have the nice thick aluminum tubing, and could even flair it for you if you had it bent and ready to go. Place here in Tulsa made some sweet custom lines for dirt cheap. :Cheer:

BTW talking about supporting the lines.... my 4bt shook my new A/C lines apart is just 3 days... That sucked.

When did I say I thought you were stupid? :)

Please don't take it personal. Hell, with a name like Jeff how could you be stupid? :hehe:

It's just that sometimes things sound funny on the internet. It's all about the comedy for me man. Really :Cheer:

And also It's about trying to keep Roachie from catching on fireLOL

oh no nothing personal just wanted to be clear about what I was getting at.

Back