Copper Headgasket?

Bigrednightmare

New to the drag side of this world...but in the process of building the engine for the truck and was wondering about using copper headgaskets. I know typically alot of truck pullers use them, and I myself was going to use one just due to the fact that im sure the engine will be apart more than it is together :lolly:,

My concern is the safety aspect of it, because copper headgaskets are prone to seeping(atleast everyone i have ever dealt with) and which on a pulling truck is not an issue, but I could potentially see an issue on a drag truck, seeing that coolant is not tractions best friend(especially being 2wd). And I was just hoping that someone would shed some kind of light on the situation.
Thanks

If you are drag racing don't run coolant no matter what type of head gasket you use!

i run a copper gasket and coolant. just got mine up and running somewhat and mine does not leak so far.

Please anyone drag racing never, ever, ever run coolant on the track!

No one expects ET street vehicles to flush the systems. That's why most the ET class's are now set at a min dial of 12.0.

Race trucks on the other hand...

i know i try not to. but the climate up here changes so fast if the power ever goes out in the night ,temperatures drop rapidly .i usaully swap to distilled in the peak of summer .

Ok so no coolant only distilled water is what im understanding then.

Got that covered so now what about my original question and replacing that with will it be safe to run the copper gasket with water with the possiblity of seeping, has anyone ever ran into an issue with that? or will it be some minimal it wont be an issue?

Please anyone drag racing never, ever, ever run coolant on the track!

I have seen more daily driver ET trucks wash the track down than I can begin to count. Every hillbilly with an hx40 some 370 marines and a bed full of keystone cans thinks their truck is a drag truck, pulling truck and street racin rice killin machine around here.

I have seen more daily driver ET trucks wash the track down than I can begin to count. Every hillbilly with an hx40 some 370 marines and a bed full of keystone cans thinks their truck is a drag truck, pulling truck and street racin rice killin machine around here.

I agree but not like the track is going to make them do it and you can just look at those trucks and know they aren't going to listen to reason either.

They usually puke it up and just keep rolling on down the track like driving Miss Daisy... :doh:

If it's on drag radials or slicks it should never have coolant in it. That's the law. LOL
No matter what's in it...if it pukes water, coolant, oil or anything else liquid please pull as far to the side as humanly possible.
I get sick of seeing oil downs go straight down Broadway like its no big deal.

Yeah thats completely understandable and common courtesy for everyone else, I was mostly just wondering if any of you all had issues with the copper for the drag racing application

I agree but not like the track is going to make them do it and you can just look at those trucks and know they aren't going to listen to reason either.

They usually puke it up and just keep rolling on down the track like driving Miss Daisy... :doh:

Agreed. Then we all get to sit for an hour and wonder if we will have a Ryan Millikin moment later.

Back