Couple 282d questions from a newbie

67IH706

First off id like to say hi to everyone out there and thanks for a what looks to be a great site. My first question is, does anybody make after market performance injectors for the 282 used in a 706? Second question, can anybody out there walk me through the steps to properly tune up the roosa pump for more fuel? All my buddies that work in diesel shops keep tellin me 10 different things and when they see the tractor they all say "huh...ive never worked on somethin that old before". I have some diesel experience with a 98 dodge with a 12 valve in it but not alot so treat me like a dummy cuz i can always use the baby steps. Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed a bet of light on this subject.

First off id like to say hi to everyone out there and thanks for a what looks to be a great site. My first question is, does anybody make after market performance injectors for the 282 used in a 706? Second question, can anybody out there walk me through the steps to properly tune up the roosa pump for more fuel? All my buddies that work in diesel shops keep tellin me 10 different things and when they see the tractor they all say "huh...ive never worked on somethin that old before". I have some diesel experience with a 98 dodge with a 12 valve in it but not alot so treat me like a dummy cuz i can always use the baby steps. Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed a bet of light on this subject.

First off, don't worry about the injectors... Those pintle style nozzles will flow more fuel than that poor DB2 Roosamaster can pump to them. That DB2 pump is as simple as it gets and it's pretty easy to work on them, though they require tear down to really tune them up.

If you look at your pump it will have a part number something like DB2629-XXXX... DB2 indicates that it is a 2 roller (plunger) pump, 6 says it's on a 6 cylinder engine, and the 29 says how big the pumping plungers are in hundredths of an inch. Now I could be wrong on how big the plungers are, but that should be pretty close. Now normally to build a good pump you'd end up with parts from a couple of different pumps, I'd say for your application you need just one important part.

A Deere pump off of a 4020 or 4320 for the cam ring - the cam ring in the IH pump is a "double shot" cam ring that has two small lobes per injection event to give it two shots of fuel in theory. Now this actually works in the lower rpm, but as you increase rpm to above 2,000 rpm it actually ends up acting like a single small shot of fuel as the pump rollers will skip right over the second cam lobe. The Deere cam ring is a large single shot type that runs better up top.

Now if we were working on something that had a little more power potential I would normally say to get an Allis-Chalmers 190xt pump - Really you could by rights get away with the Deere pump head since it should be either a 31 or 33 hundredths pump head; the Allis pump head is a 39 hundredths in diameter...

The other main thing that needs to be done inside the pump is to put a 0 (Zero) leaf spring in the pump that allows more outward travel of the pumping plungers and thus, more fuel. I can try and get some pics together for going through one of these pumps to help out because writing it out would take quite some time.

The other thing to consider is that these pumps are CHEAP to go through and if you're willing to remove it then I can shoot you a price through PM to have the pump "built".

Now, I suppose I should really have asked what you plan on doing with this tractor that you are asking for more power... The thing that really is a pitfall for the 282 is that it is a GAS block, meaning it only has 4 main bearings. It is the same exact (except for bore/stroke) block as the 221/263/292/301 gas engines found in IH tractors/trucks. Not only that, they only have four head bolts per cylinder (14 in total). Though they do have a nice head design that flows decent air. They can handle a small charger, but since they are IDI they have high static compression, not to mention IDI engines don't really respond as well to forced induction as a direct injection engine does. Though that is not to say that it doesn't help. We had a 560 that was 85pto hp we used daily in the field. There was more in it, but since it was our workhorse at the time we had to be nice to it.

Just post up your goals and we'll be able to help you from there :Cheer:

BlackSkyRacing
I guess im just looking to get it up into the 70's for hp. i dynoed it on a our local thrashing reunion dyno last year and it only pulled 63hp. that dyno is also great for producing higher than true numbers so thats why im looking for a bit more. the tractor mainly gets used for blowing snow in the winter and driveway maintnence in the summer with use on the wood splitter in the fall. im not out to go wild but just looking to gain a tish over stock. thoughts have fluttered thru my mind of turboing it but for my use it would be kinda pointless. i just pulled the injectors out and sent them out for swaping with rebuilt ones but im regretting that decision already. i was chasing after a mid throttle miss but it kinda sounds to me like that would be caused by the pump cam ring as its transfering from 2 shots to floating over the second one. i can always keep the pump info in mind but im gonna be a tad short on cash since i found out the junk precups are going to cost me about 200 each to replace. is the pump something that any injection shop would do or do you have a specific place in mind?

Feel free to PM me the info and pricing for the pump. i can always hang onto it for the summer months when money is a little easier to come by

I guess i cant even reply to a PM yet since im just a new guy. ill have to increase my post count b4 i can get back to you

10. I was gonna just post a buncha times on here last nite but the internet was acting up

Back