Couple of questions....OD & interior....

973604x4

aka landphil
Just bought my 94 2wd auto for a daily driver. The previous owner told me that it will come out of OD sometimes when you use cruise. Sure enough, cruise at 70 today, the truck suddenly goes to idle. a second later its revved out in 3rd. The OD OFF light came on on the switch. I hit the OD OFF button, it shifted right back into OD, and was fine the rest of the way home. The tranny builder told the previous owner that it was just dirty battery terminals. Opinions? If you take your foot off the throttle in 4th, it always unlocks too. roll back into it, wait for it to lock, then its fine.

The center console is stuck in the folded up position. My 95 used to do that and my 97 half ton does it too. Whats the fix for this? I could bang on the console in the 95 and 97 but this one won't go down at all.

Check your tps. We just had a 95 that was doin the very same thing. throttle position sensor fixed it.

The TPS is a common problem on these Phil, most of the time you dont need to replace it, just clean it up and it will run fine. Use some electrical parts cleaner for the job.:Cheer:

sounds good bodie. I'll check into that.

So battery dirty battery terminals wouldnt be to blame?

Clean the battery terminals anyways. That never hurts. I had the same problem and changing the TPS resolved it. I would try cleaning the connectors first. Also clean the connectors to the trans temp sensor. If any oil got ini there it cause you to loose overdrive aswell.

I would clean every electrical connection you feel like doing, because it plagues these trucks with the OD. The 95 I just bought has had OD problems for about 5 years. I know this because the previous owner has been a friend of mine since we were kids. He has taken it to bad transmission shops and they screwed him, and replaced to whole tranmission 3 times, changed the TPS 5 times. After he bought his new truck he asked me to find the problem, so I called a few real tranny builders and they say it can be anywhere in the harness. :bang

I got some work to do with mine, but from what I see most have a bad/dirty TPS sensor.

well i replaced batteries and cleaned terminals...same issue. I have a lock up switch now so i manually lock it up.

Noticed something yesterday....driving in the rain, it would never lock up in OD. I had to manually lock it with my switch. today its been dry and locks up every time.

Ive been researching this ALOT and the answer appears to be a bad ground. Im thinkin my rain occurence would confirm this theory. Chris at Relentless told me his did it and the solution was making a new frame ground just for the lock up solenoid

Two things affect the function of OD and lockup on an RH tranny. The TPS and the tranny temp sensor. I've seen and heard of both going bad, and my personal truck had a bad temp sensor (and has a somewhat flaky TPS but it is fine for the most part). I had the same issue as you on a couple of occasions after a long highway drive that got the tranny warmed up good.

For the lockup, I put a 1k ohm resistor in place of the temp sensor, and it's been fine since. I still have my lockup switch installed, but hardly ever have to use it while driving down the highway.

Looking into doing the potentiometer mod in place of the TPS, as well, to eliminate the hesitation of going into OD.

For the lockup, I put a 1k ohm resistor in place of the temp sensor, and it's been fine since. I still have my lockup switch installed, but hardly ever have to use it while driving down the highway.

Looking into doing the potentiometer mod in place of the TPS, as well, to eliminate the hesitation of going into OD.

ive got the pot mod too. its fine for cruising but ive having hell trying to figure out a WOT shift into 4th without lugging it

Back