Cp3 and injector failure

a24vc

Direct Deposit
I'm posting this for a friend. Is it possible for the cp3 and all 6 injectors to fail at the same time? Why causes cp3's to fail? He took the truck in for a blown head gasket and motor rebuild and now he has nothing. He just had nozzles put on his injectors and did not have them flowed/checked. Could that cause a problem? Sorry for the rambling..... He has an 03 common rail

Truck will not start, cp3 not pumping fuel and injectors were sent out and one is stuck open and the others have return pressure issues and tons of rust in the nozzles. Are the cp3 like the vp pumps and just die whenever they want?

03 CR i never put nozzles on. They are junk injectors to begin in the 305 HP CR motors. 03-early 04 they always get rebuilt with upgraded nozzles. If he ran that much rust and bull thru filter thru CP3 into injectors very possible it all went out. Make sure he puts airdog or fass on the truck with reman injectors and cp3. If interested give me a call

03 CR i never put nozzles on. They are junk injectors to begin in the 305 HP CR motors. 03-early 04 they always get rebuilt with upgraded nozzles. If he ran that much rust and bull thru filter thru CP3 into injectors very possible it all went out. Make sure he puts airdog or fass on the truck with reman injectors and cp3. If interested give me a call

The injector bodies are the same from 03-07 5.9s... there is no difference in the nozzel besides spray angle and the amount of holes. Yes, they make a newer style nozzel and body, but the only difference is a sleeve in-between the two.

Any CR injection system will go to **** if you run dirty fuel through it.

I guess the the ultimate question is, it went in for a head gasket (running). He decided to have the whole motor rebuilt and not the whole fuel system failed. I don't understand how this could happen. Could installing the nozzles have made the injectors fail? Could cranking on the cp3 to much with out fuel make it fail? There is a fass 95 pump on it with out the filters

I rebuild alot of CR's here and every one I do I always send the injectors in for testing so in case there is a bad injector it doesnt wipe out a fresh engine. 8 out of 10 have at least one bad injector and usually it doesnt correspond with the bad cylinder causing the rebuild.

I have seen at least one truck come in for a rebuild that the guy used a bed tank to fill up and it was contaminated with crap and it wiped out his CP3, all 6 injectors, and his rail. The bed tank had rust in it and a high content of water.

Last edited:
I would seriously almost try a new key before tearing into the injection system. A guy I know had the same issue, it would crank but no fire and no fuel coming from the cp3. Turned out to be the chip in his key was shot.

I realize there is all this rust in the system, still seems odd for a mechanical failure to happen all at once like this.

Last edited:
all it takes is a lose injector tube or injector return flow to high will make no start. being it ran going in shop i would rule out cp3 . Ckeck all wiring and plugs any codes?

Why on earth would you rebuild the entire engine when it only had a blown head gasket? And not flow the injectors?

Great info. He managed to burn the block between 3&4 so it needed decked anyways. Everything was already apart so why not a rebuild. As far as the not testing the injectors goes, his exact words were f*$& it, it will be fine.

Have him drop the fuel tank and clean it if that much water went through the Cp3 and injectors. Make sure the 2 rollover valves have a lenght of hose and a cheap fuel filter on them or water will enter the tank.

Have him drop the fuel tank and clean it if that much water went through the Cp3 and injectors. Make sure the 2 rollover valves have a lenght of hose and a cheap fuel filter on them or water will enter the tank.

Where is the rollover valve located? That's a new to me

Long bed trucks have recessed rollover valves and they will suck the water very easily. There are two, one on the top front and one of the top rear.

Dodged recalled the 06' trucks for it. Why they didn't recall 03'-06' is beyond me. They all have the problem.

Last edited:
Back