CP3 Question(s)

Spectre32

Welding Extraordinaire!
I'm not a dodge guy nor do I have an absolute understanding of CR's so please be gentle. Now when you buy an "upraded" CP3 I assume that your getting the same pressure but at a much higher flowrate. By adding dual CP3's you get the same thing.. correct? I assume the two pumps would be in parrellel since your not to concerned with head and your wanting more for flowrate. Is this a correct assumption? What would be a pro and con of having higher capacity cp3's vs dual cps(longevity, efficency.. etc etc)?

Yes, volume is increased. We can also increase pressure too. Since in a dual application both pumps are making the same pressure, volume is mutiplied not pressure, the half load theory does not apply. These pumps are variable displacement based upon FCA duty cycle.

The key to a CP3 having a healthy life, is very clean fuel under decent pressure with no water present.

I'd say you pretty much answered your own question. A single ( modded or not ) will have to work twice as hard as duals. With duals the work load is 50/50 so there's your longevity. Plus, with duals.... if one happens to peter out, you have a second to get you home.

Not to discredit modded singles at all though as they're getting better and better about their flow. I believe sled puller can't use duals either so, it is a good thing modded pumps are around.

Ok well as I said, I just wanted some clarification. ALong the lines of pressure, how much will a stock CP3 develop and what can be expected of increassing the pressure. I know injector bodies have been blown to parts using slightly modded cp3, so why would you want to go higher?

Ok well as I said, I just wanted some clarification. ALong the lines of pressure, how much will a stock CP3 develop and what can be expected of increassing the pressure. I know injector bodies have been blown to parts using slightly modded cp3, so why would you want to go higher?

increase the flow rate of the cp3 will help you better sustain rail pressure, as long as you have the fuel to supply the demands on the cp3.... i believe the intial pressure of the cp3 to rail when firing is 2000 psi then depending on year model etc idling rail pressure will vary between 5-7k... and injector bodies get blown apart, because of the flow rate of the injector, stock injectors are not designed to sustain higher pressure for long bodies start cracking, going with a larger injector with a higher capable flow rate relieves this pressure on the body...

Back