CR connecting rods

TOYDOC

MKNSMK
OK I opened up two different 2005 Common Rail's the other day to find out one had the large end of the con rods facing one way and the other had the con rods facing the other way? Does it matter what way the are facing! by the way these motors have never been apart before.

CR Con Rods

Well one motor has a blown rod out the side, the other motor is back together and running. I was wondering if the blown motor died as a result of incorrect Con Rod direction?

What was the reason for tearing into the one that didn't blow?

Con Rod's

I was doing a head gasket replacement & it was a used motor that was just installed that turned out to have an oil leak coming out the side of the head gaket. Oil was very black after being changed, I pulled the pan to check the condition of the bottom end while the head was off, It turned out to be in good shape!

If you have the rods backwards, dont they contact the cam? I thought that was the reason for them being biased to one side...

CR Con Rods

Thats a good point! but i am positive it ran 107-k miles before it blew a rod out the side!

Cummins did this as a test...

Jeff has found many like this..

CR rods can go either way from what he told me...

Cummins did this as a test...

Jeff has found many like this..

CR rods can go either way from what he told me...

Are the CR rods different than the VP rods? I didn't ACTUALLY check this when I rebuilt my motor, but it SURE looked like it would make contact with the cam if flipped backwards.

Are the CR rods different than the VP rods? I didn't ACTUALLY check this when I rebuilt my motor, but it SURE looked like it would make contact with the cam if flipped backwards.

They are definately different in looks but not sure on size specs....

But Rods will clear on both sides on a CR... At least the CR rods will...

I didn't check it with my VP on my CR block last time... Maybe since they have to come BACK out Again..We'll check it this time..

CR Con Rods

WOW! I am surprised at the info I've gotten, Does any body know what would be the correct or best direction for the rods? say opening towards cam or away from cam? Does it make a difference? Sorry for beating a dead horse here...

Put in a rod Backwards, roll the engine over and see if it clears the cam, I am 100% positive on a 12 valve, and vp truck that they can't go in backwards and work, cause I tried it, they will definatley hit and the engine won't even roll all the way over.

According to the cummins service manual on 5.9L engines the long side of the connecting rod is on the intake side of the engine or opposite of the oil cooler. On 6.7L engines the long end of the connecting rod will be on the exhaust side or the oil cooler side. But to be honest when Ive tore down engines i have never really payed that much attention until it was time for reassembly. but good question

I have a question related to this. Can the CR rods be used in a vp engine or will there be conflict somewhere. The engine is stock and will be for as long as I have it just wanted to know before I get started with it.

The CR rods will work, but you will need CR rod bearings which are 2 different part numbers. One bearing is made here in the US and the other is made in Great Brittan. If I remember right, the ones from GB go on the rod, and the US bearing goes on the cap. Although, no real need in using the CR rods. The 12v and 24V rods are stoughter. Plus I'm sure the rod weights are different so using the CR rods with the 24V crank, or a 12/24V rod with a CR crank will throw the balance off and the engine would probably need to be rebalanced in order for it to last.

The balance will be fine. No reason why you can't use them if you already have a set.

Ok so if tolerances work out fine I will be ok with it then. THis truck has alot of miles on it so it don't matter cheaper the better.

Back