CR engine differences?

Dudge

Hey guys, I'm kinda new around here and very new to CR engines. I'm getting an '03 Quad Cab tomorrow with a problem in the #6 cylinder. Guy said the injector hung open and washed the cylinder, thus causing damage to the rings/piston. Said he took it to his buddies shop and the scoped it and said the cylinder wall was usable, and that you could get by with a piston/rings.

My question is...if the motor comes up not usable, what year models interchange? Are all 03-07s the same, or am I gonna run into problems if I run across a newer model engine?

Like I said, I'm not sure if the motor is hurt that bad, but I'm just looking ahead. Thanks for any info.

03 and early 04 both had the 305/555 motor which is somewhat different from the 04.5-07 325/600 motors. But im with Xtreme, unless something crazy happened that block should be fine.

Wes

03- 04.5 pistons are different for sure and injectors. Some times u can get by with just. A hone but if not bore it a bit but I bet u could hone. It and u should be good

Ok sounds good. RAWDiesel....PM sent.

The truck should be here this evening. I'll be sure to let you all know what I find out. Maybe post a pic or 2. When I end up doing the motor work I'll be sure to take some pics too.

UPDATE:

Got everything torn down and waiting on my buddy to help me lift the head out. Interesting thing happened. When I bought the truck, the guy told me the injector had hung and that it washed the cylinder. He took it to a friends shop and they used a scope and said the wall was in good shape, but they wanted $2200 to put a piston/rings in it. Never mentioned anything else.

Well I got a bag of parts with the truck containing an injector, quill(sp?) tube, rocker, bridge and some other head parts, which I assumed he just bagged up after finding out it wasnt worth it and towed it home. When I pulled the valve cover last night all the parts were there. THey had put a new injector, rocker, tube, bridge, etc. The fuel line to #6 was loose and so was the rocker.

It just seems odd to me that he didn't mention putting new parts in it, especially when the bill would have been $500 or so...

Anyway, I'll post up some pics of the wall and stuff later tonight, if I can figure out how to. We'll see how deep this goes.

CopyofDiesel_015.jpg

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/biggy238/CopyofDiesel_016.jpg[/IMG
][IMG]http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/biggy238/CopyofDiesel_020.jpg
Diesel_017.jpg

Diesel_018.jpg

Diesel_021.jpg

Whats the reusablility guidleline on this head? shave it and be happy?

Diesel_027.jpg

Looks like it could use some valves.

Oh, and this was one of the first off the line. built 07 of 02 with a 250hp and 47re. Mechanically identical to mine.

Back