Cracked block, rebuild questions

Outlaw7317

The #53 block strikes again...bone stock truck with 250k. Cracked on the drive home From the tranny shop after having a new trans installed :nail:

I'm going to be pulling the engine and getting it rebuilt with the help of a buddy who has a little experience in 12v rebuilds. This is the first time I've ever dove into this extensive of work, so I have tons of questions so please bare with me.

First chore will be finding a good block to start with. Obviously I'll be sending it to a machine shop immediately after picking it up. What all should I ask the machine shop to do or what can I expect from them?

I'll be shopping around for a "complete" rebuild kit from a vendor here. Recommendations are welcome. Will this have everything needed to put in the new block? Will parts from my cracked block be reusable? What machine work will be needed?

Are there any "precautionary" new parts I should add to the new engine? Water pump, oil pump, etc?

Basically I'm looking for a black and white run down on what I need to Do and where to spend money to ensure this new engine runs flawlessly the remainder of the time I own this truck.

If some of these questions are noob questions I appologize, there's only one way to learn new things, grab a wrench, dive in, and ask questions.

Much appreciated

Last edited:
#1. Make sure you get the right block. I don't want to see 30 pages of how to make an '02 block run in your '98.5 after you already spent the money on the block and machine work.

Like all engine rebuilds you won't know what parts are re-usable until machine work is complete on your new block. Hard parts like crank, rods, cam, etc are reusable and interchangeable provided #1 is followed above.

At 250k I would check the oil pump clearances, and replace the water pump.

Offset the cost of the rebuild by selling good parts that you have duplicates of.

I have little doubt Mamu Diesel can get you everything you need in one shot. I use OEM everything except for the rings. I like Total Seal, but nothing wrong with OEM either.

#1. Make sure you get the right block. I don't want to see 30 pages of how to make an '02 block run in your '98.5 after you already spent the money on the block and machine work.

Like all engine rebuilds you won't know what parts are re-usable until machine work is complete on your new block. Hard parts like crank, rods, cam, etc are reusable and interchangeable provided #1 is followed above.

At 250k I would check the oil pump clearances, and replace the water pump.

Offset the cost of the rebuild by selling good parts that you have duplicates of.

I have little doubt Mamu Diesel can get you everything you need in one shot. I use OEM everything except for the rings. I like Total Seal, but nothing wrong with OEM either.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to be looking for another 99 block. I'm not interested in doing extra work to make a newer model block work.

Above all else I want to keep it as cheap as possible while still using the best quality parts available and doing the job right. It's not going to be a high hp monster. At most I'll throw in a set rv275's and a good fuel system before firing it up. I don't want to cut any corners but definitely not looking to tie up 5k in a rebuild on a 16yr old truck

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to be looking for another 99 block. I'm not interested in doing extra work to make a newer model block work.

Above all else I want to keep it as cheap as possible while still using the best quality parts available and doing the job right. It's not going to be a high hp monster. At most I'll throw in a set rv275's and a good fuel system before firing it up. I don't want to cut any corners but definitely not looking to tie up 5k in a rebuild on a 16yr old truck

Yup, just keep it simple. OEM parts, and upgrade the rings, and lift pump if not already done. Probably should reseal the vacuum pump. http://www.fixinrams.com/

No need to shop the rebuild kit, Snedge on here will be the person you'll want to go with for genuine Cummins pieces.

Man, that sucks!

I bought a super clean 98.5 4wd that had a cracked53 block with the intention of swapping it out. Used car-part.com to search for an engine (it's a junkyard search engine). Found myself a 2000 Mexican cast engine from northern Michigan that had less than 50k on it for 1900 bucks. I'd start there and get yourself something solid to work with. As stated 98.5-00 engines will work fine.

Not sure where you are at but Nixon on here probably has a very useable block for you, he just posted a thread of 12V blocks that he has available, check it out, great guy to deal with.

For the rebuild parts, go Genuine Cummins from Snedge (Jeff) at Mumau Diesel.

Thanks for the replies so far. I picking up an engine jack and engine stand next week then plan on getting the old motor out and the heads out to the machine shop.

Back