Cracked LP Oil Pump, Need advise Urgent!!!

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
Our work f450 quit and JG Parks has the truck currently. They indicated the low pressure oil pump and timing housing have cracked because something went through it. The mechanic suggested it might be a lifter clip. He then explained to me that 6.0 have hydraulic lifters. We need to make a decision on one of three options:
1. Put another pump in the thing and ride it.
2. Pull the motor apart and see if it is that lifter or other possible issue.
3. Replace the motor.

1. Around $2000
2. Around $6000
3. Around $9000

I'm going to do a search after I type this but regardless looking for any pointers to make the best decision for our company in the mean time. As with anything in a drilling operation we want to get it back asap. Thanks.

Put an engine in it for time reasons. Tear the other one down to find what caused it.

After creating this thread I did some google searching which took me to multiple forums. Thus far i've come up with:
1) needle bearings from the lifters which would have shown up in the pan, the IPR, or in the form of a miss or tick sound like failing lifters normally exhibit
2) overspeeding, which are crew is certainly guilty of given they seem to believe every job is a race. Waiting on a return call but I would presume if no metal is found than overspeeding is the primary culprit.

Last edited:
ive had a few rocker arm clips break on my work trucks. ive been lucky though and all the plastic pieces and rocker arm pivot ball never made it down in the pan. ive also had several injectors lose the tiny tiny nut that that hold the actuator onto the injector, only had one that came completly apart, but again, got lucky and it never made it to the pan

Needle bearing from lifter. Replace many 6.0 and 7.3 for that reason. Most lifter failures are due to lack of maintance

Make sure you repl oil cooler as well. Whatever went through the lp oil pump will end up in the cooler. Also if it was a lifter that came apart you'll need a cam and hopefully the block isn't damaged. Engine has to come out for cam replacement. Just food for thought if time is an issue for you

Back