Crank lightening

Crank......

IH made cranks for tractors that looked like this crank. NO counterweights. Wonder how those worked out?

OK HotRod - I checked my notes... mistakenly remembered the harmonic orders by dyslectic magnitudes - should be 9th, 6th & 3rd for 1400, 2100 & 4200 (torsional deflection order @ RPM respectively).

When you find your vibe book can you calculate a CTD crank & post it?

That certainly sounds a whole lot closer to what I was thinking - I'll crunch some numbers when I get a moment - it sure didn't happen when I was planning on it - its been a case of things going to hell around here.... but after some serious shop work on Saturday and Sunday I am almost back on schedule even if I don't have all the right parts. :hehe:

I'll make sure Jason does his homeowrk this weekend...

I work better with smoked brisket... :kick: I am aquiring quite a stack of home grown brisket in the freezer.....

IH made cranks for tractors that looked like this crank. NO counterweights. Wonder how those worked out?

The problem is the RPM range - how many tractors with that crank were spinning 4K+ RPMs - harmonics are only an issue when you operate at the key frequencies - if you stay away from them - either faster or slower - then your good - but don't hang out at them or around them - that is some bad juju without forthought on how to deal with it.

That certainly sounds a whole lot closer to what I was thinking - I'll crunch some numbers when I get a moment - it sure didn't happen when I was planning on it - its been a case of things going to hell around here.... but after some serious shop work on Saturday and Sunday I am almost back on schedule even if I don't have all the right parts. :hehe:

I work better with smoked brisket... :kick: I am aquiring quite a stack of home grown brisket in the freezer.....

The problem is the RPM range - how many tractors with that crank were spinning 4K+ RPMs - harmonics are only an issue when you operate at the key frequencies - if you stay away from them - either faster or slower - then your good - but don't hang out at them or around them - that is some bad juju without forthought on how to deal with it.

I HATE bad juju!!!

Chris

I wish I would have seen that Sunday. Drop a couple thawed briskets off this Friday after work and we'll test the 4200rpm theory Saturday. I figure by Saturday evening around 8pm we'll be ready for some brisket.

Not much new in here, been just smoothed out sharp edges left by the lathe. Still requires few weeks more of deburring and polishing. Haven't yet decided should I get it nitrided or not. The rpm's what's intended to use is 4k. At least now I think, it's max but you never know. The plan is to use the damper from a newer 6.7L since it's fluid damper already.
Could drop few pics tomorrow.

Timo

I vote nitrided if you have a company you can trust do the work.

Not much new to shop, started to make it smooth sometime ago, still under work. Been spending my free time lately with the latest purchase, KX250 which needs basically everything new. Now I'm waiting parts for it, meaning got time for the crank again.

Timo

Attachments

• 805.JPG
    805.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 806.JPG
    806.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
Not much new to shop, started to make it smooth sometime ago, still under work. Been spending my free time lately with the latest purchase, KX250 which needs basically everything new. Now I'm waiting parts for it, meaning got time for the crank again.

Timo
Get on that crank!:woohoo:

Nope, as long as you don't wanna see another mans rod! Crank is fine.

Just a pic, to show you guys that I'm actually doing something. Got few evenings to work with it, still smoothing. Although, I'm sure it doesn't have to be so shiny all over, but I just can't help myself. Ones you take the first step, you gotto go all the way.

BTW got my green machine painted, parts are on their way. Sauna and shower renovation is almost done. Soon, I will have more time for the rest of the engine.

Timo

Attachments

• 810.JPG
    810.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 0
Here's the latest.
Got it all smoothed out on last evening, next is to get the bearing surfaces turned down. Then balancing job and find a place for nitriding job.

Timo

Attachments

• 310.jpg
    310.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
Lookin' very good Timo.

BTW; How's my cylinderhead O-ringing going on?

Back