Cranking with no start - error 0549

I sure will as soon as I'm on my lunch break so I don't type quick and miss something!

Ok from the start. Bought the truck and got it home. Had a built engine in it with a 48re and wanted to put in something lighter, since the truck is a mega cab, to make it a weekend track warrior. Truck was originally a manual g56 then got a 48re. Pulled that engine got it in the blue truck in my picture. Used the ECM from the blue truck and got her up and running in front of the 68rfe for the time being.

After a bit and once I got the engine from my blue truck back to stock. I pulled the 68 with the engine/Trans/front clip harness. Put the engine and harnesses from the blue truck into the mega cab with the ECM originally from that truck. Swapped the columns and manual transfer from my blue truck as well. Mega cab originally had an electric transfer. So at that time they had swapped keys as well. Got it all together and tried to load a tune before trying to start. Got the error 0549. Tuner said to give it a try starting so tried and nothing. Just cranking and the clicking/pulsing of the airdog. At that time we tried swapping ecms between trucks to see what happened and got the same thing. Swapped them back to the trucks they were originally in and then swapped the columns back as well. Just swapped the shifters this time. So the correct key it back in the correct truck. Still nothing so I swapped the dashes to rule out those harnesses not meshing with the front clip/engine harness and still the same.

That's about as broke down as I can get the whole ordeal. Only thing that makes sense to me like others have said is when I turned the key the first time with the wrong one in there the ECM was like whoa! That ain't right and locked out. Sometime this week I'll get her on a roll back and see if the dealer can flash it and check the key making sure it's linked back up. If I don't figure it out before then. Also I really Appreciate all the input guys.

In the meantime it's getting pretty tiring trying to beat back all the ladies when I pull up in this....

384335A9-C2F7-410F-885D-AC4A9BD47B88_zpsrwsckujl.jpg

Ok well tried calling a lock switch and had him come out to see if the key need to be reprogrammed or reset to the ECM since I tried swapping columns and tried everything with the wrong key. Didn't help but have a extra key now. Then realized I swapped the gauge clusters as well so put the original one back in but now luck. Did get the fog lights to work again though.

Next thing I could come up with that makes since is the ECM being a manual flashed ECM and now that I have a auto in it that it's still looking for a neutral safety switch or something along those lines and won't let the truck start/confusing the electronics since the tcm is now hooked up.
In the process of looking for someone local with a V-2 so I can swap the ECM as well. Trying everything to stay away from the dealer since I know they would be like talking to a wall about all this.
Also pulled the supply line to the cp3 just to be sure I was getting fuel and definitely have enough.

At the expense of looking stupid I'll go ahead and update this incase anyone else has the problem and does a search to find another dead end thread. So, even if you think you've checked and double check go ahead and check again to make sure all your grounds are connected to save a big pain. Problem solved. ECM ground.... I was minutes away from buying a v-2 for myself before I decided to check again too. Money saved.

FDAA78B0-3D8E-478F-B4A8-636A12A758C5_zpshdths6tl.jpg

And this was the next one...

689C3683-0345-400B-A0FE-72E35048CA89_zpsyc6fkyeh.jpg

Started her and got p0931 and a bad idle/lope so swapped the sensors. Took it for a drive and she started running just like my blue one did before I parked it to get this one running. So had to be the engine harness or Trans since they were swapped over to this truck as well. Had an extra harness here so cut the rail sensor plug a few inches back and solder in one from my other scrap harness. Up and running smooth now. Must have been from having a rail gauge butt connected in. Wish I would have just done this when it started acting up on my blue truck :bang: but now the blue one should be up and running sooner than I had thought.

Also thanks again for all the input guys!

Back