cranks before firing

I think im gonna go in one turn more. I went from cranking indefinitely to starting with no throttle, albeit slow starting. I may bump the idle back up first though. Its hovering around 650 cold in neutral.

Oh really?!

One thing's for certain, if you set the idle to 1200+, it will fire off immediately regardless of what pump, springs, or jimmy rigged setup you're running. The problem is, 1200 is ridiculous for a daily driver!!!

My "benched" 12mm would only idle at 1200 rpm, anything less and it would die. It was a pain to get started still. That was with CDS 5k's in it.

Took mine in two more clicks which puts me at initial plus 6, idles at 1500 and drops 1000 rpm when I put it in gear, still cranks longer than stock. Runs good though LOL

Last edited:
It's my signature on tapatalk and the more I see it the more it seems out of context. It is a shot at the random fictitious bull**** people post for solutions on cummins forum.

Oh really?!

It's my signature on tapatalk and the more I see it the more it seems out of context. It is a shot at the random fictitious bull**** people post for solutions on cummins forum.

Oh really?!

That's what I figured but it didn't show up on all your posts. Had to ask.....

I had initially been told to tighten my springs to solve the issue. Then I talked to Jim at Dixie Diesel about it and he said to loosen them. I had them at 3-4 turns in and I think I actually went a click or 2 further. It upped the idle but still didn't help the dying. It would slam so hard when I put it in gear it would occasionally bark the tires if I didn't have the brakes on hard. That's when I backed them off and started over at 2 turns in. He told me it had something to do with "high speed fueling". Don't quote me on that, I may have the terminology totally wrong. I've slept since then......

Last edited:
I went back and read through a thread on Governor function that weston had contributed to but all of his posts are gone because he killed his account at one point. It seems like the spring tension on the springs has to allow the rack to move to start position before the vehicle will start (without throttle change). The info just wasnt there any longer.
clicking out/reduced tension would make sense for this.

Back