Crankshaft Difference?

BigYellowIron

Diesel Tech
I am working on a 2006 CR and it broke the crankshaft. I have a crankshaft out of a VP engine with the chopper wheel on the #6 main journal.
Will this crank work fine if I change the gear on the front? I cannot think of any reason why it wont. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Adam

The CR crank has a dowel in the front to align the tone ring and balancer but other than that it'll work.

Yes. Just swap gears. If you need to get that gear hot to remove it...replace it.

The CR crank has a dowel in the front to align the tone ring and balancer but other than that it'll work.

Ah Yes I forgot about that. I Wonder if I could drill it close enough? Or just bolt the damper up in the right spot without it???

Center it on the bolt holes then drill for a 1/4" dowel and pin it. W/o a dowel it will move around too much.

VP crank will work, but not as well a CR crank - and since it's an '06, you'd definitely be better off using an '06-'07 crank... especially if it's a G56 truck.

If you're committed to using the VP crank, at least try to use a 6.7L damper.

VP crank will work, but not as well a CR crank - and since it's an '06, you'd definitely be better off using an '06-'07 crank... especially if it's a G56 truck.

If you're committed to using the VP crank, at least try to use a 6.7L damper.

Can you explain?

Of course - but I can only say that '06+ cranks have superior damping.

This 06 crank broke right at the fillet on number 6 main. fatigue failure and knocked out all the mains then took out a rod. I think it is going back together with a 01 crank.
The 06 crank looks alot thinner and fracture looks crystaline like cast. I have seen several cranks break on cats and they always had a smooth fracture. Just visually the 06 looks cheap and weak LOL. But im no engeneer.

:hehe: Maybe a Cat crank would be better...

but 6 Sigma + ThyssenKrupp = Y
(Y= Probably Pilot Error)

Cummins' word is '05+ cranks are better.

:hehe: Maybe a Cat crank would be better...

but 6 Sigma + ThyssenKrupp = Y
(Y= Probably Pilot Error)

Cummins' word is '05+ cranks are better.

This depends on what is Cummins definition of better?

Easier to machine, less porosity, better wear, stronger, cheaper to make?

It all depends on what their definition of better is.

Back