Crazy Idea??? Need Opinion's

Duramax2006

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
I had a crazy idea the other day and want some opinon's on it. My dad and I were talking about perfomance upgrades and had this crazy idea come up. We were talking about all the sled puller's that remove their A/C from the truck due to the A/C compressor pulley robbing horsepower. We were thinking about a way to maybe put a coil (like the cab evapator) in the cool side of the intercooler to cool the charge for even more cool dense air. I figured you know since they do away with it way not leave it there since its just pulling anyway you don't need it for comfort cooling, but then I though dang thats gonna make the A/C system work really hard to keep it cool. I need your opinons on weither or not you think it would be a benefit or if it's just a waste of time trying to make it work. Like I said its a crazy idea but I'm just asking to see what ya'll say. Thanks

Waste of time. It takes a fair amount of power to run AC, and the cooling benefit would be negligible, because the system is no way big enough to make a dent in the 400F+++ air coming from your turbo.

Plus you have two other main issues...where is the hot refrigerant coil going to go (not in front of the rad/intercooler!) and secondly you would have to have the cold coil inside the intercooler system to even hope of having a wee bit of real heat transfer.

No worky.

Thanks I was just tossing the idea up in the air with my dad the other day and figured I'd post it and see what opinion's would come about. I didn't figure it would work but it was a neat idea lol.

The only other thing I ever heard off kinda like that was a friend of mine tryed spraying NO2 on his intercooler too cool it down.. Trye it 2 pulls soon just went to a water to air intercooler

If money was no concern, and weight wasn't too much of a problem, a freakin' gigantic stack of peltiers connected to a bunch of cranking batteries being used as weights might put a dent in it... You'd be in the Diesel-electric submarine-range of electronics by the time you got that system working.

on a gasser we once made a box up to intersect the cooling coil housing so the intake had to suck its air through it, and it appeared to work fabulously - except compressors dont like high rpm very much for very long, and thats why they normally have a cutout switch ;o)

Might just work on a 3-4000 rpm diesel though

This idea has been around for years and years. It will never be efficient enough to work right. Just think of it this way. How long does it take to cool the cab of a crew cab truck on a august afternoon in lets say Texas. It takes several minutes. Ok, then also think about the a/c will probably have to be run 3/4 speed to high just to keep it comfortable. Think about the volume of air in the cab of the truck that evap. core is trying to keep cool. Ok here is the problem. At W.O.T. it would take a naturally aspirated gas engine about 5 seconds to use up that much cool air and a diesel engine about 2-3 seconds. So you see it just never would keep up especially for the amount of energy that was being spent on turning the compressor. Also like what was stated before, the compressor would not live very long at w.o.t.

This idea has been around for years and years. It will never be efficient enough to work right. Just think of it this way. How long does it take to cool the cab of a crew cab truck on a august afternoon in lets say Texas. It takes several minutes. Ok, then also think about the a/c will probably have to be run 3/4 speed to high just to keep it comfortable. Think about the volume of air in the cab of the truck that evap. core is trying to keep cool. Ok here is the problem. At W.O.T. it would take a naturally aspirated gas engine about 5 seconds to use up that much cool air and a diesel engine about 2-3 seconds. So you see it just never would keep up especially for the amount of energy that was being spent on turning the compressor. Also like what was stated before, the compressor would not live very long at w.o.t.

Thanks for the info I just like coming up with creative ideas and seeing what others think of them. I'm thinking of ways to improve stuff all the time its just some ideas don't work or I just don't see suit to take action on them lol. I can see where the comp wouldn't live long though. I really appreciate all the replies. I'm sure some have thought about the exact same things though.

Back