Crazy oil issue

Bigrednightmare

I have ran into huge problem and im not sure what the deal is....

The truck is a 2001 ppumped 24v.

To start off the other I was driving the truck and had noticed that when I pulled away from my parking spot it had left a big spot of oil on the ground, 2 blocks later the check gauges light comes on and there is no oil pressure and I noticed oil spewing from everywhere. I shut it off and coast back to my shop, where I then checked the oil and verified it was about 2 gallons low.
So I then proceed to drain the oil out of the pan to check to see if I could find any metal shavings in the pan, and thankfully none were found at all, oil looked perfectly clean.So I refilled the engine with oil and started the truck and still no oil pressure on the gauge , then I hooked up the mechanical gauge and saw that I was only getting about 7psi @ idle and when I tried to rev the engine it blew oil out of the blow by tube like a waterfall ( I have the breather pointing upwards with a vent on top of it with a 12v billet tappet cover) and the oil was shooting out so hard and so much it covered the entire engine bay, fenders, and bumper, it was like a garden hose.

So I had a pump back from Farrell Diesel getting badassified , So I decided since I had the pump back I would go ahead and change it because I was thinking that maybe there was some possibility that something a happened inside the pump causing it to return too much oil too quickly.... well after a conversation with Seth, We came to the conclusion that it was not a even possible, So my next thought was the vacuum pump figured it would be easy to get it while the injection pump was off the truck....

So got the vacuum pump swapped for a new one as well as a new PS pump (mine was getting weak good time to do it), installed the new injection pump, changed the oil and filter and got it started. Upon starting the truck I had noticed that the gauge on the dash was still reading 0, so once again I hooked up the mechanical gauge and check the oil pressure and once again 7 psi @ idle , but this time with a good revv I was no longer getting a waterfall out of the blow by tube. But I was only getting 25psi@2500 rpm... Which once again I know is still too low... So I toook the oil filter I had just pulled off the truck and cut it to inspect for bearing material, and it was clean as could be looked perfect. Then I thought oil pressure regulator, pulled it apart checked it out and compared to a new one I had on the shelf, looked perfect.

So now im at a bit of a loss, I would assume the vacuum pump took care of the waterfall issue I was experiencing but it did not take care of the oil pressure issue, but what it odd to me is that these 2 things happened almost simultaneously and I got one fixed but not the other major issue...

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before or even have any suggestion as to where to go next?

My thoughts on the next step were pull the pan and check the pick up tube to make sure it was cracked or broken and then if that doesnt fix it pull the cover and inspect the oil pump...not sure which order on those yet

But any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you

Oil galley plug part way pushed out? That's the only other thing I can think of beside what you already mentioned checking.

I have no external oil leaks at this time any more , or are you talking about an internal plug that I am not aware of?

Two internal. One in the front cover and one under the tappet cover. If you have a bore scope, you may be able to look without removing anything. The one under the tappet is between the pushrods on cyl 1 IIRC. The one in the front cover is near the cam I think. If you are taking the oil pan off anyway, you could pressurize the system and see where the oil goes. If it is coming down from the front cover or from the tappet in a stream, you know you have a problem with one of the plugs.

Ahh I know which plugs you are talking about now, for some reason I thought they were freeze plugs for the cooling system but I will investigate deeper now

Nope, they are oil. I threaded the one in the tappet after the machine shop didn't install it correctly and I couldn't build oil pressure. There is one at the rear of the block too, but it would cause an external leak.

Well after further inspection of pulling the front cover and using a good mirror and flash light the freeze plug right above the cam shaft looks to be missing, which would explain the waterfall effect I was getting out of the front cover and the lack of oil pressure. Thank you for the suggestion now its time to tear this dirty ***** down again

Glad you found it. Sucks it is going to be a ton of work for one little plug.

Back