CRs, puzzling yet interesting find on recent repair

TxDiesel007

Uncommon CR problemed
Recent history on the truck..

New injectors about 3k miles ago, BRAND NEW, cummins, not rebuilds or remanufactured, Truck ran flawlessly for 3000 miles, hard towing and all so i thought all was ok..

four days ago, i started getting that lopey idle that most deushbag smokers want, and that regular folks hate. I thought nothing of it, but knew that the biggest possibilities were either air in the lines somewhere, or the stock 203K FCA was going out.. I threw the DTC codes.. same ones that i HAVE ALWAYS HAD..

P0483 which we all know is the fan speed
PO541 which is the brake light

Resuming on as normal i drove the truck to work in 112 degree texas heat weather... and noticed the temperature was hotter than normal, and i could not hear the fan clutch come on, and well, the AC was useless... great more issues, i stopped the truck and pulled over at work, and saw that the FC would just not come on, and kept tapping the FCA to see if it would get unstuck, and to no avail, truck just kept on loping on... and the relay would click like it was trying to turn on the FC and it would not go on... ech, bad wiring i thought, or the FC is toast, under a year old has warranty, no biggie, swap it out...

checked DTC, and same codes as above nothing different, and now two issues..

Recieved my new fca, and went and had it switched out, and i was present, at the mechanics, knowing that one DTC could have a domino effect on another, and with the NEW FCA, this thing loped even worse, RPM fluctuations were instead of the 50-100 rpms, 200-300 rpms, it sounded either really cruddy, or really cool, depending on which side of the glass you look through in this case... going back their was no hard startup at all, no smoke out of tailpipe and no diesel in the oil, and all injectors tested good with the computer... hence not an injector issue.. that was some sort of relief...

So under mechanics explanation and my recent hot box experience i went and got a new FC under warranty and brought it to my mechanic, whos workers are really quick and had that thing back to normal in no more than an hour..

idles smooth as glass with a new FCA and a new FC... why pay for labor twice on the FCA right? but it blew my mind that the dang fan clutch would mess with the idle...

I could see the ECM getting mixed signals, to raise and lower idle because of the trucks temperature, this being the only thing i could think of, or the wonky wires just messing with the darn thing beyond any sort of logic.. either ways im confused on it, but just glad it was fixed...

Moral of the story now is... if you have a lopey idle, it could be the FCA, but do not rule out the fan clutch...

cleared all DTC codes and all seems well now...

Last edited:
Stupid question but I thought FCA was Fan clutch Assembly, that being the clutch itself and the wiring harness?

Similar things about electricity

Similar, and somewhat interesting results: I bought an 06 Megacab 2wd in April with 181k miles on it. All stock. I checked it out carefully with Autoenginuity for cylinder comparisons and injector performance, and decided that it was OK. Not great, but OK.

I put EFI Live on it and it ran better. I ordered injectors and some more stuff to make it fun. (not here yet)

Two weeks ago with some time on my hands, I put new ground cables on both batteries. I cleaned the posts and engine mounting points more thoroughly for good measure. It has Optimas already in the truck and they appeared to be fine.

The new cables smoothed out the idle and made for slightly quicker starting. Both were immediately noticeable.

Good low cost improvements. (I just noticed I need to change my sig.)

Bob

Back