Cruise problem..

Ltk

Broke
my cruise control works but it acts weird. ive tried searching and can only find problems from people doing conversions.

when i turn cruise on and drive for a few minutes, then i kick it off and come to a stop, the idle speed will be higher. if my cruise is on 80 and i come to a dead stop afterwards the idle speed will be around 1300 rpms, which almost stalls me when pulling out.. if its set at 70 it will idle at 1100, 60 idles at 900. its like its not resetting all the way.

im stumped, i cant think of anything that would cause this. any ideas guys?

return spring or TPS maybe ? ..... verify its returning to idle with engine off ..... go to full throttle and see if its snaps right back to the idle position every time ......

Last edited:
where is the return spring located? i dont really know much about cruise systems

do an APPS voltage check at normal idle and when it is acting up.

If anything reset the app

turn truck off, set brake, unhook batteries, turn key on-relieve possible capacitors- let the truck sit for a minimum of 30-45 minutes and hook batteries back up, then release parking brake, turn key on to start position w/o engine running, press pedal all the way in slowly and let off slowly... See if that helps.

Also, don't wanna steal the thread but what's everyone's max cruise speed? Mine won't hold a speed after 85... Assumed that was standard but never looked into it?

[/QUOTE]Also, don't wanna steal the thread but what's everyone's max cruise speed? Mine won't hold a speed after 85... Assumed that was standard but never looked into it?[/QUOTE]

LMAO !!!!!!! 85 really ........ LOL ..... maybe you should slow down ..... :charger: ...... JK ... umm, you might have to have to hack into the computer to reset that perameter .... might ask the dealership ... or good buddy that works at one ...

Last edited:
Also, don't wanna steal the thread but what's everyone's max cruise speed? Mine won't hold a speed after 85... Assumed that was standard but never looked into it?[/QUOTE]

LMAO !!!!!!! 85 really ........ LOL ..... maybe you should slow down ..... :charger: ...... JK ... umm, you might have to have to hack into the computer to reset that perameter .... might ask the dealership ... or good buddy that works at one ...[/QUOTE]

LOL yea yea, I'm not that concerned haha I used to speed... Now I drive 1 mile to work... Not even enough room for my truck to get up to 85... Lol

LOL yea yea, I'm not that concerned haha I used to speed... Now I drive 1 mile to work... Not even enough room for my truck to get up to 85... Lol[/QUOTE]

LOL...... thats even funnier than needing cruize control over 85 .... :lolly:

I believe smarty over rides the speed limiter. Then again not sure I've never set my cruize over 80.

Ltk, any luck? My trucks top speed is high enough, when I first got it I was driving to TN and my GPS was showing 105. I think it's seen that speed twice after that but it's just too damn fast for a 3/4 ton dodge... It rattles and gets scary... Now my old foxbody mustang... That's a different story haha

oh yeah ... the FOX ... used to have a 77 mercurey capri Ghia ... 2.3I4 5 spd .... say 160 ish once .... was like warp speed captn'

oh yeah ... the FOX ... used to have a 77 mercurey capri Ghia ... 2.3I4 5 spd .... say 160 ish once .... was like warp speed captn'

Lol 160 in a 4cyl?.... Your screwing with me right? I mean I've never owned one but hell I've never ever been @160 in anything... My fastest was 140 riding and 125-130 driving

On second note... Did they make a 2.3 l-4 in 77?

Last edited:
my cruise control works but it acts weird. ive tried searching and can only find problems from people doing conversions.

when i turn cruise on and drive for a few minutes, then i kick it off and come to a stop, the idle speed will be higher. if my cruise is on 80 and i come to a dead stop afterwards the idle speed will be around 1300 rpms, which almost stalls me when pulling out.. if its set at 70 it will idle at 1100, 60 idles at 900. its like its not resetting all the way.

im stumped, i cant think of anything that would cause this. any ideas guys?

If it never does it any other time (cruise off). Then I would look into the vacuum system. I'd have to dig into the FSM to see exactly how it works, but to me there has to be some way of releasing the vacuum. If you set the cruise at say 80 then once the speed is stabilized try pressing the decel 5 times. Does it immediately slow down or does it hang? If it hangs then I would really think it is vacuum related.

If it never does it any other time (cruise off). Then I would look into the vacuum system. I'd have to dig into the FSM to see exactly how it works, but to me there has to be some way of releasing the vacuum. If you set the cruise at say 80 then once the speed is stabilized try pressing the decel 5 times. Does it immediately slow down or does it hang? If it hangs then I would really think it is vacuum related.

His truck has electronic cruise... no vacuum canister

Lol 160 in a 4cyl?.... Your screwing with me right? I mean I've never owned one but hell I've never ever been @160 in anything... My fastest was 140 riding and 125-130 driving

On second note... Did they make a 2.3 l-4 in 77?

Was in wenatchee headed down the big hill from east wenatchee accross the odebasion bridge ...... 135 was maxed out on level ground ...... yeah a 2.3L in a 77 .... that's stock ..... 5 spd full rearend ..... was a great car .... .miss it ..

His truck has electronic cruise... no vacuum canister

UMMMMM???? My 01 6spd has a vacuum canister:stab:
in the usual chity location under the battery.

Last edited:
I know I worked on mine awhile ago and my cruise wouldn't work cause the vac line had come off and then the cruise wouldn't work at all. does the blend door work on the truck at all? how many miles on the truck? do you have tilt steering and do you constantly adjust the tilt when you get in and out of the truck?

Back