Cummins 24v build looking for some opinions

jpavao1066

Diesel Head
Hi guys, I figured I'd post up a thread looking for some input/advice on a project im planning. I've got an engine i bought from a friend of mine, it's a 24v, basically block and lower end. I'm planning on building it up to make some big HP/tq numbers, I'm really not sure how much, maybe looking at least 6-700 hp or so to start. Once the engine is done I'm planning on putting it in a Farmall 560 or 460 and building the tractor to play around with at the local tractor pulls. So basically what I'm looking for is some opinions as to a good solid build, but keeping it on a budget. Here's what I'm thinking so far, mind you I really haven't done much research on any specifics.
Fuel- p pump kit, any advice on Ag governors? Pros/cons. Would like to see 4-5k rpms. Full cuts, .093 or .120 lines/ cross over tubes? Don't really know what size injectors would best suit my goals, maybe something comparable to a 5x.018 or 5x.020 in a 12v?

For air I'm thinking an s475 as a single would be enough? I really don't have any restrictions as to turbo size so any opinions would be much appreciated. I'm suggesting s475 basically because you can find them for a reasonable price and they can support a decent amount of power. Or should I look at bigger than that? I would also like to get a bigger cam to help with spool up, but I'm not sure what size to look at. Anything over stock will help, and I don't have a problem with fly cutting the pistons to clear a bigger cam. Also, any advice on maybe an air/water IC, assuming I even have the room for it under the hood?

I'm also planning on the obvious like head studs, valve springs, push rods, etc. it's mostly the bigger items I'm looking for advice on specifics so I can know what to start searching for. I've read countless threads on different builds, but I'm hoping I can get some advice from experience, and also keeping low cost budget in mind, considering its just a tractor and not a full blown pulling truck. When it's done I basically want something fun, but impressive non the less. Thanks in advance for any input, sorry if I've missed anything or if anything sounds vague,

-Justin

I would suggest somewhere around a 2.5 or 2.6 turbo would be better than a 3.0 for that power level.

A lot of the "drop in" cams that are out there should suit that power level also and not require fly cuts.

Ok thanks. So maybe an S466 with a 188/220 cam would be a decent start?

Just for the sake of curiosity, what power range would you think my initial idea would put me closer to? I'm really not sure how much hp/tq I'm searching for, my main concern is the tractors differential. I've been doing some research and I haven't found much on the subject. I know if you have the later model 460/560s, from 1960 or newer, they have the updated pinion shaft bearing and lubrication system. Supposedly they can take quite a beating, I guess I'll find out. If I can get some more info on the subject, I may consider running something closer to maybe a 666 or 686 rear end, which I know can hold a lot of power, and may give me a bigger window to build the engine up a bit more

Ok thanks. So maybe an S466 with a 188/220 cam would be a decent start?

Just for the sake of curiosity, what power range would you think my initial idea would put me closer to? I'm really not sure how much hp/tq I'm searching for, my main concern is the tractors differential. I've been doing some research and I haven't found much on the subject. I know if you have the later model 460/560s, from 1960 or newer, they have the updated pinion shaft bearing and lubrication system. Supposedly they can take quite a beating, I guess I'll find out. If I can get some more info on the subject, I may consider running something closer to maybe a 666 or 686 rear end, which I know can hold a lot of power, and may give me a bigger window to build the engine up a bit more

Well...

The size injectors you mentioned are a bit small for a 3.0. I would guess you could be in the 6-700 range with the fuel parts you listed however. I would seriously consider nailing down a power range first and trying to make a build sheet from that. I am leaning toward telling you to just get a 13mm pump built but without a firm goal its hard to make solid recommendations. For reference, a true, built 3.0 engine should be easily over 1000 HP with some of the top running trucks well over that.

I had wondered about the rear in that tractor...don't see a lot of big power builds on that platform typically.

Definitely not in any hurry to have it built. I really want to take my time, (mostly so I don't go blowing too much money at once lol) and try to get the parts I will need for good prices to save a little here and there, but without cutting corners. Right now I have other priorities keeping me from diving straight into it, so a little at a time.

And about the power level, I think a 3.0 level sounds great, but the drive train of the tractor may not think so! I do know of a local guy running a pretty impressive DT466 in a 560, and I know he's dumped some serious coin into that engine to make it run the way it does. I'm gonna ask around a little here and there to try and see how far he's dug into the rear end and tranny to hold up. Maybe that would help figure out what I could shoot at for a power level.

Back